Jan 26 2011
By: Jim777 Last Guardian 10707 posts

My name is Jim, and I'm a pansy.

14 replies 476 views Edited Jan 26, 2011

I just spent 2 and a half hours downloading the Dead Space 2 demo to see what he fuss was about. (I was even considering getting Dead Space) I spent 10 minutes learning the buttons before i dared step through the first door. I went through it, stomped an already dead alien for loot, bracing myself to fight my first monster. I went through a door. Then another. Then as i turned a corner the audio BLASTED (my surround sound headset did not help that) and a freaky image appeared in font of me. The next thing i knew i was in my XMB and Dead Space 2 Demo was deleted. I did not even see an enemy before i was out of the demo and it was whipped from my HDD like a virus.

I. Cannot. Do. Horror. Games.

To be fair i knew this was what was gonna happen, back when I got bioshock i don’t think i made it halfway through the game before i had returned the game. I just can’t for the life of me do video game horror. I can however do movie horror, i can go on a roller coaster, etc. So why is it I am such a pansy with video game scares?

Control. I don’t want it.

When your on a roller coaster, or a horror movie all you can do is sit back and enjoy the ride, you cant make it stop, you cant change whats going to happen, all you can do is brace yourself. However in a video game you can pause, you can quit, you can play something else. This is why i cant manage to get through a horror game. What would posses someone to scare themselves shitless in Dead Space when they could be playing something like Mass Effect 2 i wont ever understand. People are just crazy these days.

Fun fact did you know that the only reason Dead Space has a pause option is because Sony MADE THEM.

Yea, they wanted every bit of menu in the game to be in real time, but Sony requires all games have the ability to pause. (Bathroom breaks and such)

So im curious, what makes you guys play scary games?

I used to put fancy stuff down here.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (476 Views)
Fender Bender
3109 posts

Re: My name is Jim, and I'm a pansy.

Jan 26, 2011

Well Jim,

I suppose we all have different reactions to scary games. I don't really get scared; at times I'll get a bit of a thrill from a surprising shock that wasn't predicted. However, i really only like two games in the survival horror genre. Those are Resident Evil 4, and Dead Space. Resident Evil 4 had superb graphics for it's time, and those were what sucked me in to get the game.

Scary games, reach a point in which other genres wouldn't be able to simulate. Something like keeping your cool or a giant monster will impale you. Actions that you have to perfect or the immediate consequence is a game over. There is no cover to hide behind, and there is no place to run. You either have to be killed or kill. There are no rooms for emotions here.

Dead Space 2 attracted me when I first read about it in a Game Informer way back when. It was awesome, it had gore, and it was a new concept which was a breath of fresh air to the survival genre. The weapons are powerful, stasis is cool, and Isaac has one hell of a stomp.

The only other game in the survival horror genre that has interested me is Alan Wake, but I don't have an Xbox.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8671 posts

Jan 26, 2011

poor jimmy

that's pretty cool about them not wanting a pause button!  I would go crazy though, not being able to pause and get some food, or take a bathroom break.

Maybe the reason you get so freaked out is because you immerse yourself in the video game, and when a scary moment happens, it feels like it is really happening to you!  This is just great work by the developers

I guess I am just the opposite of you, there is nothing better than turning my surround sound all the way up, turning off all the lights, and losing myself in a scary game such as Dead Space, Rez Evil, Silent Hill....

Just remember, nothing is going to hop out of the screen and bite you   .... well, until you buy a 3D tv !!

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Jan 27, 2011

I think one of my first scares was in Tomb Raider. Was walking through the valley when a T-Rex came charging after me. Ran for my life, seeking refuge in a cave with nothing but a handgun. Haha..

Silent Hill was great. Loved Resident Evil 4; those women with chainsaws were terrifying. Dead Space is intense too. Haven't really answered your question. I guess I don't know why I put myself through those things.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4740 posts

Jan 27, 2011

Lol

Well Im a sucker for horror movies, but not horro games lol

Cuz when you horror gaming, you like the adrenaline rush and like decide what is the best method to do an objective, wher as in a movie stupid teens get killed because they couldn't wait to have sex Where as in a game: I gots a Gun, I will use it! hahaha

Also, why does everyone say Bioshock is scary? Am I the only one who thought Bioshock felt like any other Action/Adventure game than horror??

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2441 posts

Jan 30, 2011

I don't get scared from the games only surprised until I kill em That's what gives me the thrill to play these games, not knowing what's around the corner. Sometimes I hesitate because I know there's an enemy coming up but I still go for it. It's a game you're not going to get hurt. (maybe mentally ) jk

MAL

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2785 posts

Jan 31, 2011

I like them. I think they're more exciting than other games. It does get  a bit creepy but nothing that really scares me. And if it does manage  to scare me then that's a plus. It just makes it more immersive somehow.  If nothings going on I get easily distracted and the game ends up in  the start screen the majority of the time.

Feel free to add my newer account NatalieG_

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8519 posts

Feb 1, 2011

Dead Space 2's demo made me scream more than all of Dead Space 1.

There were at least 2 occasions were I really screamed. For seconds ast a time.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10998 posts

Mar 5, 2011

I’m sorry to hear about your low fear threshold, Jim. When I think about survival horror video games the first video games that come to my mind are the older Silent Hill and Resident Evil video games. Dead Space doesn’t strike me as a particularly “scary” video game but don’t let that bother you. How “scary” video games such as Dead Space (an action-horror video game if you will) will be for individuals depends entirely on the video games that they have experienced in the past and their familiarity with the survival horror genre. At times I have difficulty calling Dead Space and Dead Space 2 survival horror video games given their third-person shooter backbones and their action/adventure elements. With that being said, I will probably pick up a copy of Dead Space 2 later down the road when I’m in the mood for a solid third-person shooter video game.

On another note, BioShock is not a survival horror video game by any stretch of the imagination. Alan Wake is a relatively unsettling video game but it isn't exactly a survival horror video game either. To be completely honest with you, not all video games with a “creepy atmosphere” are survival horror video games...

What makes you play “scary” video games?

I like to play survival horror video games for the experiences that they offer. My all-time favorite survival horror video games have extremely satisfying storylines with memorable characters and an atmosphere that is often quite unsettling if not teeming with a sense of despair or dread. What more could an individual ask for? With that being said, I do not play “scary” video games for their “jump-out-at-you scares” (I never have). I play survival horror video games for their narratives and for the experiences that they offer. If “jump-out-at-you scares” come with these experiences then so be it (they were never personally a “draw” for me). I prefer psychological (survival) horror video games in which the atmosphere itself provides the "scares" most of the time. Dead Space 2 should have something to offer me given Isaac’s internal struggles in this video game but (unfortunately) I’m not looking for a third-person shooter video game filled with “jump-out-at-you scares” at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (476 Views)
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Hmm...good question.  When I was really young, I came home one Halloween with a big sack of yummy candy.  While my parents were sorting it out via the method of eating what they wanted, my older brother decided to tell me about this movie being played on TV late that night.  "Trilogy of Terror", he called it, and emphasised how I should watch it.
Well, I stayed up, snuck into the livingroom, and turned on the TV with the lights off because I thought I was being sneaky, was greated by a comical host dressed like a very bad vampire, and then was launched into what was the most horrifying, terrorfying, and exciting experience as a young child.
I was hooked.
I've sence always enjoyed horror, and horror games now especially.  Dead Space is my first this gen, and so far I'm rather impressed.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes