Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/20/2008
Online
10824 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013
So, more thoughts now that I'm at Chapter 10, 43.9%, and 10 hours in:

-Microtransactions are pretty fine. Bought one pack out of curiosity, but have just been spending the Ration Seals I get from my 2 scavenger bots, and it's worked out fine.
-Weapon crafting is awesome. Swapped out the rivet shotgun on my previous weapon for a stick electric bola that was devastating...when it hit.
-Tau Volantis is outstanding
-I'be lost count of how many times I almost pooped myself because of necromorphs popping out of the snow
-Weapon crafting is still awesome. Just made a flamethrower w/ missile launcher
-Feel like Visceral hit the perfect balance of exploration and linearity
-Story is still interesting, but I feel like some of the side missions take a bit too long.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 58 (294 Views)
Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 11/14/2010
Offline
2171 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013

johngie wrote:
So, more thoughts now that I'm at Chapter 10, 43.9%, and 10 hours in:

-Microtransactions are pretty fine. Bought one pack out of curiosity, but have just been spending the Ration Seals I get from my 2 scavenger bots, and it's worked out fine.
-Weapon crafting is awesome. Swapped out the rivet shotgun on my previous weapon for a stick electric bola that was devastating...when it hit.
-Tau Volantis is outstanding
-I'be lost count of how many times I almost pooped myself because of necromorphs popping out of the snow
-Weapon crafting is still awesome. Just made a flamethrower w/ missile launcher
-Feel like Visceral hit the perfect balance of exploration and linearity
-Story is still interesting, but I feel like some of the side missions take a bit too long.

I have two bots that have collected around 22 ration seals. How are those connected to the dlc you can buy? I haven't used a ration seal yet so don't know what they actually do. Your sentence if I understood it right infers that you can use ration seals to purchase the dlc content? That can't be right...just wondering.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 58 (291 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/06/2011
Offline
4402 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013

johngie wrote:
So, more thoughts now that I'm at Chapter 10, 43.9%, and 10 hours in:

-Microtransactions are pretty fine. Bought one pack out of curiosity, but have just been spending the Ration Seals I get from my 2 scavenger bots, and it's worked out fine.
-Weapon crafting is awesome. Swapped out the rivet shotgun on my previous weapon for a stick electric bola that was devastating...when it hit.
-Tau Volantis is outstanding
-I'be lost count of how many times I almost pooped myself because of necromorphs popping out of the snow
-Weapon crafting is still awesome. Just made a flamethrower w/ missile launcher
-Feel like Visceral hit the perfect balance of exploration and linearity
-Story is still interesting, but I feel like some of the side missions take a bit too long.

I just peed myself laughing.  Definately cannot wait ot pick this one up now!:smileylol:

 

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 58 (289 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/20/2008
Online
10824 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013
At the Bench, there are 3 packs of resources and weapon parts you can purchase (if you've played Mass Effect 3, this'll sound familiar to you). You can purchase these packs with cold hard cash, or with your Rations Seals. They cost 10, 30, and 60 seals each.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 58 (286 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/09/2006
Online
5377 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013
Ah well that's nice (I have a lot of ration seals)
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 58 (282 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/06/2011
Offline
4402 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 7, 2013

johngie wrote:
At the Bench, there are 3 packs of resources and weapon parts you can purchase (if you've played Mass Effect 3, this'll sound familiar to you). You can purchase these packs with cold hard cash, or with your Rations Seals. They cost 10, 30, and 60 seals each.

Never played Mass Effect.  Sounds like a slight learning curve to deal with.

 

Interesting though.

 

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 58 (276 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/07/2005
Offline
8805 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 8, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

johngie wrote:
At the Bench, there are 3 packs of resources and weapon parts you can purchase (if you've played Mass Effect 3, this'll sound familiar to you). You can purchase these packs with cold hard cash, or with your Rations Seals. They cost 10, 30, and 60 seals each.

Never played Mass Effect.  Sounds like a slight learning curve to deal with.

 

Interesting though.

 

Moble


The Bench definitely has a learning curve to it compare to DS1 and 2. I've spent about 8 hours on this game and still haven't fully understood the Bench.

 

I know what he means about the side missions. They add a lot to the game, but I thought the Conning Tower mission on the Terra Nova was ridiculous at parts. Who wants to do a side mission that is almost guaranteed to be suicide on harder difficulties?

 

Photobucket

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 58 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/20/2008
Online
10824 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 8, 2013
Omigod yes. That Conning Tower mission. It's the one I got screwed over on in my other post. Spent an hour and a half battling through it on Impossible. Made it through the second arena, and decided to take a break. Came back a while later and reloaded the save, to find that I had been kicked back down to when you're waiting for the tram, and the regenerative guys are attacking.

Naturally, I had all of my inventory from the Conning Tower (where does this make sense?). Through no small amount of luck, I made it through on the first try. Only after beating it did I realize that the entire time, I had had NO HEALTH PACKS. ON IMPOSSIBLE. Now. I'm often afraid to quit the game in the middle of a chapter or mission. I have no idea where I'll end up.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 58 (267 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/07/2005
Offline
8805 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 8, 2013

johngie wrote:
Omigod yes. That Conning Tower mission. It's the one I got screwed over on in my other post. Spent an hour and a half battling through it on Impossible. Made it through the second arena, and decided to take a break. Came back a while later and reloaded the save, to find that I had been kicked back down to when you're waiting for the tram, and the regenerative guys are attacking.

Naturally, I had all of my inventory from the Conning Tower (where does this make sense?). Through no small amount of luck, I made it through on the first try. Only after beating it did I realize that the entire time, I had had NO HEALTH PACKS. ON IMPOSSIBLE. Now. I'm often afraid to quit the game in the middle of a chapter or mission. I have no idea where I'll end up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm playing on Normal since it's my first run, and the Fore Deck Station when you call the tram is a **bleep**. I almost died there are so many. The game taunts you too; "Please be patient, the tram will arrive shortly." :smileyvery-happy: The thing about side missions is, there's always more to  the side mission then just the mission itself. For example, on the CMS Greely...need to access a part of the ship that is locked down, so first you have to go cut on the power, then go do your mission. Or when attempting to access the Con Tower, first you have to go shut down the gravity plates. Why can't I just go straight in and straight out? :smileyindifferent:
Yeah, the autosaves are confusing. Although I think I've narrowed them down.

 

Progress Saves: Saves your progress, this is where you will end up if you quit the game.

 

Inventory Saves: Saves ONLY your inventory, but will still be available if you were to reload your save.

 

Checkpoint Saves: Saves the checkpoint for your current playthrough, but does not save if you were to quit out and reload.

 

 

 

 

 

Photobucket

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 58 (265 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 11/20/2008
Online
10824 posts
 

Re: Dead Space 3 reviews, impressions

Feb 8, 2013
Ya, I noticed the inventory and checkpoint saving, but I'm playing on a 24' TV, and it works beautifully, but it can be hard to notice then read the saves when they pop up.

And the next side mission, the Supply Depot on Tau Volantis, is completely straightforward...it's just long.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 58 (263 Views)
Reply
0 Likes