Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
713 posts

Re: Top five reasons why I hate Dark Souls

Oct 20, 2012

Fexelea wrote:
Dark Souls is a great game. It has good gameplay that complements its rpg elements without overshadowing them. I thoroughly recommend it.

Yea, aside from the poor frame rates, horrible summoning / co-op, spotty story, foolishly silly boss fights, gimped caster classes and (add your own here) its a great game.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 34 (520 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2977 posts

Oct 21, 2012
I disagree with all of your points, and since you are just stating your opinion that is of course very subjective, you should avoid making this seem as fact.

Poor frame rate = In Blightown only
Horrible summoning co/op = Compared to what? I have had no issues completing the whole game co-op with a friend, we even did quick summonings to give each other ore or extra souls or humanity when needed
Spotty story = The lore of the game is deep and substantial, and is presented in an unobtrusive manner that should be welcome as a way to merge heavy story with action play/
Silly Boss Figths = You don't explain why you believe this, however to me the boss encounters were interesting and fun. Some of them were very challenging at first like Four Kings of Ornstein and Smough
Gimped Caster Classes = HAHAHAHAHA. I can two-shot Sif, one-shot the previous bosses. One hit of CSA will kill any invader. Caster classes are strong and well

Fextralife.com A gaming blog anyone can contribute to!
Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Bloodborne Wiki | Destiny Wiki | Dark Souls II Wiki | Elder Scrolls Online Wiki | Lords of the Fallen Wiki |
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 34 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
713 posts

Oct 22, 2012

I'm not debating this with you.
You're a blatant fanboi and nothing can change that. You worship the game, and refuse to see any of its faults.

Faults mind you, that are well documented and widely discussed around the web in various gaming communities.

So you love the game, thats great, Im glad you enjoy it, Im sure many players do.
But dont preach the Gospel on how the known issues dont exist.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 34 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7836 posts

Oct 22, 2012
This topic makes me angry. DaS is an amazing game. Solaire? Siegmeyer? Lautrec? Oscar? All these characters are crazy interesting and that fact they don't give enough detail about them makes it even better.

[spoilers]

Lautrec in particular is interesting because [spoiler] like the Dark Wraiths, he wants to put out the fires and enter the Age of Darkness. This is in contrast to Solaire and the Warriors of Sunlight, who are portrayed positively throughout the game. But when you think about it, an age of darkness would be beneficial to the world as the age of fire is what is keeping everyone undead.

[/spoilers]

The way characters tell you want they want you to hear and probably not the whole story, like the Primordial Serpents, creates a strong curiosity and fuzziness that I think is amazing.

I could talk about Dark Souls all day.

Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 34 (493 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5890 posts

Oct 22, 2012

Haters are going to hate.  Just the way it is.

The story line wasn't the attraction for me.  Demon's Souls had some story, but not much either.  For me it's all about the gameplay, the exploration, the enemies, quests, tasks and bosses.

I think both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls succeeded given the number of hours I've spent on both.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 34 (491 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 22, 2012

The story is told from your character's point of view which means he doesn't know anything beyond what he is told. The items in the game are told from a sort of common knowledge standpoint. The player must combine the description of the items, the dialog, and observation (where items are found, the surrounding environment, et cetera) together to get an impression of the ongoings of Lordran. Otherwise, the story boils down to choosen undead fulfills pilgrammige and peretuates the age of fire or ushers in the age of darkness. The details that story is the summary of your own actions.

Some people don't like that. Some people want the game to be more like a movie where a story unfolds and you just play some parts of it. Personally, I don't care for that kind of story telling in a game because it largely becomes nothing more than a waste of time in the following playthroughts. Dark Souls keeps the player in the action which serves the game well.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 34 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7836 posts

Oct 22, 2012
@Kazoo True. Think of a game like Skyrim and how boring it gets when the lore is explained to you the nth time.

Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 34 (486 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2977 posts

Oct 24, 2012
@Brozz65

You didn't explain or justify your stance with any argumentation or this "well documented" sources. You just called me a fanboi and tried to state your opinion as fact again.

Sorry dude, but you are wrong, and repeating the same thing isn't gonna make it a reality.

The game has flaws, sure. They are not what you say they are.

Fextralife.com A gaming blog anyone can contribute to!
Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Bloodborne Wiki | Destiny Wiki | Dark Souls II Wiki | Elder Scrolls Online Wiki | Lords of the Fallen Wiki |
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 34 (472 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Hey Brozz,

No need for name calling. Remember, how respectful the DeS forum was? This forum deserves no less. You don't like DkS, don't play, don't post, and stop complaining. No one has contributed more to both of these beloved games community knowledge than Fex. Have a little respect.

Oh, and if you can't get Coop to work........I suggest you upgrade your internet connection. I can't step into the forest without the fog going up.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 34 (466 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5890 posts

Oct 24, 2012

So let's get this right, Brozz doesn't want to debate, doesn't cite sources, and offers subjective statements as fact, and condemns a game.

Let's also take a look on the web and see what we find:

Review scores:

Edge 9 out of 10

Eurogamer (UK) 9 out of 10

Famitsu 37 out of 40

G4 5 out of 5

Gamespot 9.5 out of 10

GamesTM 9 out of 10

IGN 9 out of 10

etc., etc., etc.

Sounds like the public at large have a vastly different opinion.

Then again, having gotten frustrated with the game at the beginning and having put it down for months before getting back it I can see how some people won't like it.  That's fine.  One person's opinion doesn't make it fact, nor does it make them the ultimate authority.

And Brozz resorts to name calling - juvenile behaviour at best.

This all puts Brozz into my personal definition of a troll.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 34 (461 Views)
0 Likes