Apr 03 2012
By: Brozz65 Wastelander 663 posts

Top five reasons why I hate Dark Souls

33 replies 9963 views Edited Apr 3, 2012

1. Practically non-existent story

2. Boring, forgettable NPCs

3. Bonfires

4. Crippled caster classes

5. Absolutely no items drops for caster classes (at least from what Ive seen, 30+ hours in)

Seriosuly, wheres the story?

Wheres the memorable characters?

Why on earth did they impliment the bonfire system?

Limited health flasks, that can only be "refilled" at bonfires, why?

Set limit on spells in between "rests", why? The last time I saw something like that was the caster classes in Neverwinter Nights (aka old D&D) and yea, it was a bad idea then too.

Im not trolling, or trying to start a flame war, but from what Ive seen so far, Dark is a serious let down. At least for me.

Guess I was hoping for Demons Souls 2 ... oh well.

I was hoping it would get better as it progressed, but so far, no luck

Discussion welcome, but lets keep it civil.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Re: Top five reasons why I hate Dark Souls

Apr 3, 2012

1. I agree the story is as much as you want to make of it. Personally, I did not think Demon's Souls did much better with the story. The games lets you decide how much or how little of the story you want but the main goal is a little hazy.

2. I agree none of the NPC's like Demon's. I agree 100% with this one.

3. They wanted to make the game harder and they figured by removing the grasses and giving people limited health to refill that would make the game harder. Enemies also respawn if you want to get health. Personally, I really liked the Nexus and prefer it but the bonfire was not too bad.

4. Not sure what you mean by this? I played an INT build for my first playthrough and yeah it was hard but I would not say crippled unless you are talking about PVP. PVP magic sucks but PVE magic is fine.

5. Not sure what you mean byt this one....please explain more.

Seriosuly, wheres the story? - the story is there but you have to find it. How well and easy to understand is another thing altogether.

Wheres the memorable characters? - agree 100% yeah there are a few but nothing like Demon's Souls

Why on earth did they impliment the bonfire system?  - an attempt to make the game more difficult. I prefer the Nexus but it was fine with me.

Limited health flasks, that can only be "refilled" at bonfires, why? -  because they wanted to make the game hard and I guess the perception was that Demon's Souls was too easy because you could play the game really sloppy and not worry about your health because you could just eat grasses all day. FROM wanted to eliminate that which is why that was introduced.

Set limit on spells in between "rests", why? - the same reason the flasks. People complained and said magic users were too overpowered and it put the game essentially in easy mode. It is easy to kill everything from a distance and just wait for your mana to refill or consume a spice.

I agree there are things about Dark Souls that I wish they had not changed. The only thing the changes really did was make the 1st playthrough more difficult.

Personally, I am hoping for a Demon's Souls 2 with a Nexus, World Tendency, Grasses and my mana bar!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2137 posts

Apr 4, 2012

Dark Souls is much easier, getting the rite of kindling is so easywhen you know the shortcuts you just jump down a few times and run past the wheel skeletons and your at the boss (pinwheel is one of the weakest bosses), then you'll have 20 flasks if u kindle the important bonfires not to mention upgrading your estus with firekeeper souls makes it even easier.

Casters are REALLY strong, a intelligent build is really strong in PvE if you place your stats correct, I one shot most majority of enemies with soul spear or CSS. Faith builds are really overpowered in PvP (dmb or wotg)

Demons Souls was harder imo. It seems Dark Souls was toned down a bit. I still love this game though and you're right the npcs are a bit forgetable. i.e. Laurtec is a chuckie cheese version of Yurt.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 4, 2012

5. Not sure what you mean byt this one....please explain more.

In about 30 hours of playtime, I never got a single drop or item discovery that helped the INT based Sorcerer I was playing.

Every item was usable by high STR/END builds only (spears, huge swords, plate armour, etc)

It seems (to me) that From made Dark harder simply for the sake of making it harder. Its just a narrowed version of Demons with a ramped up difficulty.

I dont PvP, so I dont care about the "oPNOObzKiLLaz_LigtzingzSWordz + 1257" ((LOL, joke there, and poke at PvP monkeys)). Yea, I know not all PvPers are like that, but you know the ones Im talking about.

As far as people complaining about too many grasses or OP mages, who cares?

Does the way someone plays their single played game effect you in any way? No.

Unless .... you are one of "those" PvP people mentioned above, and if you are, go play CoD or MW3, but get the h*ll out of my RPG.

/end rant

When levelling my Sorcerer, I put 95% of my points into INT, with a few in VIT. The spells I have are brutal, but I have so few that a majority of the time I am in hand to hand melee combat. A big no no for a squishy caster, and as you can imagine, the survivability of the character was almost non-existant.

It just doesnt make sense to me to try and build a plate wearing mega-axe weilding mage. Call me old school (and I am) but to me, a mage should be a lightly equipped, fast moving glass cannon type of character.

Speaking of fast moving, the roll animation in Dark isnt nearly as smooth or effective as it was in Demons. Another negative for the light and quick classes.

Ill prolly give it another try someday, but for now, some time away is a good thing (throwing controllers can get expensive, LOL)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Apr 4, 2012

Ah ok......I see what you mean now. Yeah it seems like the game was really geared more towards STR builds. I do PVP but I prefer to invade unsuspecting people then just battle with people waiting for a fight. BTW I am not one of those COD MW3 people.

I play the same way as you. I have high INT 51, low VIT 20. My only real hard fight in the game was the Capra Demon because there is nowhere to move and he can 1 hit kill mages. Yeah the first time through the game is brutal for spells because you really cannot get the good ones until really late in the game. Then if you want more of them you have to play through again and get to the same point. If you can make it through the first time the second time should feel more like the game you wanted to play with an INT build.

Yeah they nerfed the roll and magic.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2924 posts

Apr 5, 2012

Brozz65 wrote:

1. Practically non-existent story

This is not a story-oriented game. It is an exploration & discovery game. As such, you are not spoon-fed the story of your character but rather given information on the world and its lore and you determine your allegiances, actions and thus see your impact on the world. The game has an incredibly rich, complex and intriguing lore. See here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Lore

2. Boring, forgettable NPCs

NPCs in the Souls series have always been meant to be strangers. You don't get to find out about their lives right away, you must talk to them multiple times, read up on the lore, find something that triggers an interaction. There is one particular NPC who is a trainer and will not give you her side quest until you meet her 5 times. Other NPC has his own questline around the world. Boring, I would call them not, forgettable? Just like anyone you would meet who you don't know. Get to know them, get to like them, and you will care.

3. Bonfires

Elaborate? You are complaining about flasks and spell limits? It has been introduced to provide balance to the availability of shortcuts and the bonfire option that, frankly, made the game easier than Demon's by providing a comfy ground mid level.

4. Crippled caster classes

Say WHAT???? Caster clases can own some of the bosses in two shots whilst flashing protective spells that make them almost invincible. If you are referring to PVP... try talking to someone about cystal homing arrow being underpowered As a caster, you should be dynamic and use your entire repertoir to survive. I have a dedicated caster, he rocks havel's armor flip ring invaders. Just experiment with your build and find the counters and you will win. If you were expecting "Im a Royal, ezemode!" from Demon's then yes, I imagine it would feel underpowered. It is not.

5. Absolutely no items drops for caster classes (at least from what Ive seen, 30+ hours in)

You should explore more and craft your own weapons with magic properties. There are no perfect drops for anyone, you must tailor your build to the weapon and moveset you like. But there are really nice caster drops, like cutting off Seth's tail, that do not have a str counterpart (who on their right minds would pump Str to 50 for the gapin's dragon tail)

Fextralife.com A gaming blog anyone can contribute to!
Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 34 (9,963 Views)
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 5, 2012

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm beginning to understand more about the game, and I believe I was approaching it in an a** backwards fashion.

For example, I didnt know spells could be "stacked" to increase the numbers of uses between rests, and a few other little tidbits.

But hey, who knew? LOL

Ive been reading up on the crafting, but honestly, Im still confused. Its a unique system, and its seems to have a lot of depth and flexability, but I dont know if shards / supplies are limited in numbers throughout the game, and I dont want to shoot my end game gear in the foot by burning up my crafting supplies on lower level gear.

More research is needed here.

The shortcuts are a big improvement over Demons, I agree there, and at first I hated the enemy respawns (when you rest) but I've found they are a very convenient way to farm souls. (No duping in Dark, have to earn xp the old fashioned way, hehe)

At any rate, theres still a lot about the game I am displeased with, but at least I dont hate it like I did my first few days with it.

No game is all things to all people, and its actually starting to grow on me.

***** MINOR SPOILER BELOW *****

Oh, and that Black Wizard / Necromancer guy on the second floor of the church is SCARY !!!!!!   /shudder

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2924 posts

Apr 7, 2012

Hi there

Glad to hear you are starting to get into it! You will soon be as addicted as the rest of us hehe.

For crafting, we have very clear and accessible guide here. It is comprehensive and should cover everything you need, in particular you mention you are concerned about wasting your materials. Good news is they can all be farmed, see this section.

The wiki also has a proposed route, that is in my opinion the best way to get the most out of the game in terms of story.

Fextralife.com A gaming blog anyone can contribute to!
Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 7, 2012

Thanks for the links Fex, good info indeed !!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Apr 8, 2012

You are correct, there is barely a story, and the characters are forgettable.  Dark Souls doesn't focus on those elements of video games though.  Dark Souls focuses on the gameplay aspect.  The game is made to challenge the player with every area, boss, etc.  The game doesn't need a great story, because it has amazing gameplay.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 34 (9,963 Views)
0 Likes