Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 29 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Dark Souls Build Help

50 replies 313 views Edited Nov 29, 2011

Hey guys, I'm hitting a point in my build where I'm not sure what to do next.

Here is where I am:

Stats:

SL: 42

Vit: 18

Att: 16

End: 18

Str: 19

Dex: 15

Res: 14

Int: 13

Faith: 12

Weapons:

Divine Bastard Sword +4

Black Knight Shield +1

Pyromancy Flame +10

Armor

Elite Knight Helm +4

Elite Knight Armor +8

Elite Gauntlets +3

Elite Knight Leggings +5

Wolf's Ring

Havel's Ring

So far I've been mixing melee with some ranged attacks from pyromancy and the occasional sorcery.  I keep mixing it up.  For example when I took down Quelaag, I used sorcery/Heavy Soul Arrows to take her down, meanwhile with the big stone throwing fellas I used primarily melee.

Ultimately I'm unsure where I want to go next.  Keep building up Str?  Build up Int and Faith for sorcery and miracle help?

Also, what to do with:

Soul of Moonlight Butrerfly

Soul of Quelaag

Thanks in advance for the help!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
816 posts

Re: Dark Souls Build Help

Nov 30, 2011

I'm not much of a magic user, but i don't discount it at all.  I've pvp'ed with some int builds that we're just beast!  I've always liked melee more and if that's more the style you like to go, I'd absolutely go the strength route seeing as that is your highest stat right now.

I'm a fth build but I were to do it over, I like all the strength weapons in this game.  The ultra great swords, dragon weapons, black knight axes, Astoria great shield, Havels shield etc.  all these things require a lot of strength.

Using the arbitrary 120 cap, 22 into VIT, 22 into endurance for 40, 31 into strength for 50, leaves you 3 points to spare and you've got yourself a very viable build.  Without wasting any points you can upgrade your pyro glove and have some nice spells to play around with as well.

Your armor upgrades are great!  With the wolf ring your poise should be in the 60s if not higher allowing you to tank.

At lvl 40, I'd say a quelagg's fury sword will work wonders for you especially if you upgrade it.  Pre patch for the butterfly I would have said crystal ring shield.  That thing was awesome, now it sucks lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Nov 30, 2011

d15-149 wrote:

Your armor upgrades are great!  With the wolf ring your poise should be in the 60s if not higher allowing you to tank.

Thanks!  It took quite a while lurking in the depths to gather all the titanite. 

I picked up the stone armor set earlier and switched out the Elite Gauntlets for the Stone Gauntlets as it gave a much larger boost in all stats except poison resist, at least until I get some more titantite to upgrade the gloves further. 

How does a faith build play?  The feeling I have from the handful of faith based spells that I picked up was slower, but that you aren't as reliant upon bonfires.  Do some of the higher level miracles do solid damage?

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
816 posts

Dec 1, 2011

I'll bet it did take awhile for those armor upgrades!  One of the reasons I liked the kiln so much is the 100% drop rate of the black knights, I had so many titanite chunks built up it wasn't funny.  If I needed large shards or shards I just had frampt break them down.  Upgraded lots of stuff with out having to grind any more :-)

I have 50 faith now but wrath of god is just powerful and did well for me at 30 fth.  Emit force and lighting spears to nclude sunlight spear are fun and decent for pve but not so good for PvP.  You need space for time to cast them.  Wrath of god is just instantaneous and dangerous!  Love it.  I love the great magic barrier miracle, it's almost like iron flesh but for magic lol.  I used it for the four kings last night and it was extremely useful.  Sunlight blade looks more cool than it does damage I think lol.  I don't believe it scales at all, but no matter, I have a raw great sword and when I light that thing up people play very defensively, I suppose they think it's going to do more damage than it really will haha!  I believe it's only a 100 point electric damage modifier.  And of course the heal spells are awesome and help to conserve estus.

Something else I recommend is the ninja ring, it's called the dark wood grain ring I think.  As long as your load is less than 50%, instead of rolling, you'll do back flips all over the place, very cool.  Havels ring mixed with this ring and you can wear all the heavy armor and weapons you want!  I'm currently wearing the mask that increases stamina regen, + 5 paladins armor, Havels legs, and +5 black iron gauntlets and either an occult claymore, Devine zweihander, or an occult great sword.  I have the raw great sword and a + 15 Laito if I wanna use sunlight blade.  I understand dark moon blade miracle is awesome for buffing weapons.  Obtaining that miracle is my next goal.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Dec 1, 2011

Here's where I am now:

SL: 44

Vit: 18

Att: 16

End: 19

Str: 20

Dex: 15

Int: 13

Faith: 12

Weapons:

Divine ******* Sword +5

Eagle Shield +4

Pyromancy Flame +11

Armor

Elite Knight Helm +5

Elite Knight Armor +8

Elite Gauntlets +5

Stone Armor Leggings

Wolf's Ring

Havel's Ring

It sounds like a faith based build is very viable, and I have around 40k in souls that I can use for leveling up as I just beat the giant wolf Sif. 

Two quick questions, is there somewhere that lists everything you can do with all of the boss souls?  Also how do I get the bonfire in Firelink restarted?

Thanks!

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Dec 1, 2011

Check out the Dark Souls Wiki's. there are two of them. Google them up. ^.^' They both have mixed info on things, but all are accurate. A complete list of all Boss Weapons and the Souls required are listed. Hint: Use Sif's Soul on a +10 Broken Straight Sword or +10 Straight Sword Hilt for the strongest Greatsword in the game. Enjoy. (b^.^)b

"Accept Death. Be truly alive." - Master Darke "Yes, sir. My Master." - Kanosa Darke

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Dec 2, 2011

Oh. About the Firlink Shrine Bonfire... you have to gather the Fire Keeper's belonging's after she's died(the mute under the Firelink Shrine's Bonfire). Knight Lautrec(sp?) killed her. When you have the Black Eye Orb in Anor Londo's Hall Room(mainly after killing O&S), it will glow. Use it to take revenge on Lautrec for the Fire Keeper. You get some shinies, as well as her soul. Take the soul back to where she died and voila! ^.^' She's back!

"Accept Death. Be truly alive." - Master Darke "Yes, sir. My Master." - Kanosa Darke

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Dec 2, 2011

KanosaDarke wrote:

Oh. About the Firlink Shrine Bonfire... you have to gather the Fire Keeper's belonging's after she's died(the mute under the Firelink Shrine's Bonfire). Knight Lautrec(sp?) killed her. When you have the Black Eye Orb in Anor Londo's Hall Room(mainly after killing O&S), it will glow. Use it to take revenge on Lautrec for the Fire Keeper. You get some shinies, as well as her soul. Take the soul back to where she died and voila! ^.^' She's back!

Awesome, thanks for the help! 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Dec 2, 2011

Anytime! ^.^' Happy hunting!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Feb 24, 2012

Hey everyone, sorry for bumping this, however I'm stuck again and I felt it was easier than creating a new duplicate thread...

So I dusted off my highest SL character, and am currently in the painted world (It looks fantastic btw)

I'm at a point where I'm really not sure where/how to build from here.  I did some leveling recently more to get out of the range of the constantly invading phantoms in Anor Londo, and because it was needed necessary...

Here is my current build:

SL: 57

Vit: 20

Att: 18

End: 18

Str: 24

Dex: 18

Int: 14

Faith: 14

Weapons:

Divine ******* Sword +5/Lightning Spear +1

Black Knight Shield +1/Eagle Shield +5

Pyromancy Flame +11

Armor

Stone Armor Helmet

Elite Knight Armor +9

Elite Gauntlets +4

Stone Armor Leggings

Wolf's Ring/Ring of Steel Protection/Covetous Serpent Ring/Whatever I may fancy at the time/situation

Havel's Ring

Depending upon which ring I use, my defense for most stats is well into the 300's, and my poise was at 94 I believe earlier (I'm at work) with the Wolf's Ring.

My biggest problem/issue seems to be damage output.  I don't feel as though I am doing much damage, and anytime I get invaded, if I'm using the bastard sword I seem to have difficulties unless I can catch him/her at a distance with a few great fireballs.

I'm still mixing it up with a combo of pyromancy/sorcery/miracles, and believe this could end up being a solid build for the Great Sword of Artorias, but like this thread, I'm not sure if I will be shooting myself in the foot trying to do so.

I'm still having a difficult time with the Silver Knights, and can't seem to get past them (hence the detour to painted world), so something in the short term to help there would be appreciated, along with an idea of next steps/build advice.

Thanks!

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 51 (313 Views)
0 Likes