Dec 17 2011
By: Cepheis Sackboy 523 posts

Best DDR Pads for PS3... Including DIY Bluetooth Dance Pad

2 replies 6263 views Edited Dec 17, 2011

I have been on a mission to obtain the best DDR pads that work on PS3, and I want to share what I have been using.  My original 60gb PS3 (backwards compatible) got YLOD on me a while back, so I have only tested the things that I'm listing here on the new PS3  DanceDanceRevolution on a new slim model PS3, not on old PS2 games played via backwards compatibility.  With that being said, I believe most of these options will play PS2 games on backwards compatablity PS3s.  Each thing I list has pros and cons, so check it out.

Option #1:  Red Octane pad with PS3 adapter

pxuigp.jpg

4115gd2dKjL._SL500_AA300_

Things to buy:

Things to do:

Just cut the board to the exact fit to go inside the pad along with the high density foam.  Then use the converter to plug it in to the PS3.

IMG_3366.jpg

Things to look out for:

The PS2 to PS3 converters are very sketchy... I believe I have tried nearly every adapter out there, and the one by hyperkin seems to be the best, but even that one has a high probability of being defective.  I bought two and had to ship one back because it acted all crazy pushing a bunch of buttons on its own.

Also, the high density foam is usually always inside the red octane ignition pads, and is extremely important.  Here is a picture comparing the two foam inserts that come with different pads.  The soft foam is terrible and should be completely avoided. In the picture, the dark black foam on top is the required high density foam.

IMG_3362

Pros:

• Simplest method to using a high quality pad to play PS3 DDR

Cons:

• Groove Trigger doesn't work (the thing where you push up and x to get extra points)
  • The game won't count your calories burned
  • Doesn't work with the new eight arrow challenge modes

Option #2:  Deluxe Master Pad native PS3 support

IMG_3365.jpg 

Things to buy:

• PS2 Red Octane Ignition Dance Pad with high density foam insert    ......from craigslist or ebay (look for cheap broken one, because you only need the foam)
  • 3ft by 3.5ft particle board  .....from menards
  • Super Deluxe Master PS3 dance pad    ....from DDRgame.com

Things to do:

Just cut the board to the exact fit to go inside the pad along with the high density foam.  Then you are good to go.  This is a good option if you already have a broken old red octane ignition pad that you can steal the foam out of.

IMG_3364.jpg

Things to look out for:

I don't recommend using the Master dance pad until you get the wood and high density foam, otherwise the pad will rip and get worn out extremely fast in my experience.

Pros:

• Native PS3 USB support, no need for sketchy converters to randomly crap out on you.

Cons:

• Groove Trigger doesn't work (the thing where you push up and x to get extra points)
  • The game won't count your calories burned
  • Doesn't work with the new eight arrow challenge modes

Option #3: Red Octane pad with the "Brain" from PS3 Konami pad

IMG_3374.jpg 

Things to buy:

Things to do:

• Cut the board to the exact fit to go inside the pad along with the high density foam. 
  • Remove the "brain" from the Red Octane pad by removing some screws and then carefully peeling back the plastic that the buttons are hooked up to. 

IMG_3369

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmfoley/6020361595/

• Remove the "brain" from the Official Konami pad the same way.

IMG_3375

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmfoley/6020889264/

• Swap them so the Konami brain is installed on the red octane pad.  This takes some patience cause things line up for the most part, but not 100% exact.

IMG_3372

• The circle and x buttons are swapped on the konami PS3 pad so now you have to mark them accordingly if you want.  I used pieces cut from a broken pad and taped them on.

Things to look out for:

Take your time and get everything lined up inside the brain and maybe even tape the plastic in place so nothing slips later on.

Pros:

• Native PS3 USB support, no need for sketchy converters to randomly crap out on you.
  • Groove Trigger Works!
  • Count Calories works!
  • 8 arrow mode works!

Cons:

• The X and O buttons need to be marked accordingly now that they are swapped.
  • Price and the labor required

Option #4  Wireless Bluetooth PS3 Cobalt Flux Metal Dance Pad

PS3-DDR01

I can post more about this option in the future when I have a little more time or if requested, but it is somewhat explained and shown here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmfoley/sets/72157627364133420/

I made some modifications to a cobalt flux metal DDR pad and rewired it so that it works with a homemade PS3 bluetooth control box.. that I made.

Things to buy:  (well... this is what I used)

• Sixaxis PS3 controller (used old one is fine)
  • Cobalt Flux pad  (cobaltflux.com or used off craigslist)
  • 24AWG solid wire and some 24 AWG stranded wire (Radio Shack)
  • Project box, some momentary switches and connectors

Things to do:

• Disassemble Sixaxis controller (I used a sixaxis controller because I had an extra one laying around.  Also, when using a gamepad.. the 'Groove Trigger' is activated by hitting the right analog stick and I knew that it could be mapped to a button for remote activation.  This project would be easier if you wired the pad in to the brain of an official konami pad brain, but I wanted more customization options (for example in the future I could wire a fight stick to this control box)

sixaxispcbok2

PS3-DDR03

Use a hot glue gun to keep wires from falling off too easily.  Wire the wires to match the pinout of the cobalt flux 15 pin d-sub connection  ...found here.. http://pinouts.ru/Game/cobalt_flux_pinout.shtml

• The difficult part is that the PS3 controller uses one ground for the up,down,left, right and a different ground for the x,o,squ,tri buttons.  Normal DDR pads have one single common ground for all buttons.  So if you wire the cobalt flux pad to a sixaxis controller you have to modify the cobalt flux pad, but if you wire the pad to a konami ps3 dance pad brain... the following pad ground modification isn't necessary. Follow a similar method to this http://cooltrainer.org/2011/06/27/redoctane-control-box-conversion/  if you want to wire to the konami brain. 

The Cobalt flux pad uses one big sheet of metal on the bottom as the ground for everything... so I took an angle grinder with a cutting blade and separated the corner buttons from the up, down, left, right. 

PS3-DDR04

I then wired the corners together with wire and had one wire come out to use as the second ground. 

IMG_3336

Using this second ground, the corners can be deactivated by disconnecting the second ground... deactivating the corners helps to prevent accidentally pushing corner buttons during songs and losing your combo.

PS3-DDR11

• Match up all the buttons' wires on the sixaxis connection to the cobalt flux 15 pin d-sub connection

PS3-DDR09

• Wire a PS button and start and select on the project box... also cut a hole or something for a usb cord for charging.

PS3-DDR10

Pros:

• Wireless Bluetooth PS3 pad!!
  • Groove Trigger Works using a wireless remote control that I hold in my hand instead of hitting up and x
  • I also made it possible to flip a switch (or unplug a cord) to deactivate the corner arrows when you want so that when dancing you don't accidentally hit the corners and screw up your combo.  (this feature, called "dance play", was in the options of old PS2 games but not in the new PS3)
  • Hot swap between plugging the pad in to the PS3 control box, or the PS2 control box (that came with the cobalt flux metal pad)...  works for both!

Cons: 

• Price and the labor required
  • Doesn't count calories
  • 8 arrow mode doesn't currently work (might be able to wire it up in the future)
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (6,263 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1135 posts

Re: Best DDR Pads for PS3... Including DIY Bluetooth Dance Pad

Oct 6, 2012

oook

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (5,496 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Best DDR Pads for PS3... Including DIY Bluetooth Dance Pad

Jul 23, 2013

Question.  I have a red octane Metal dance pad for my old PS3.  Would the conversion work the same as the Cobalt Flux pad?  I'm not sure that all 8 buttons work on that pad.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (2,465 Views)
0 Likes