First Son
2 posts

Re: Why would a PS3 not work with component cables?

Sep 14, 2011

I'm having a similar problem where I have done the exact same steps as you have but I get the weird effect where the PS3 is recognizing my component as composite and I'm currectly using the offical Sony brand PS3 component cables after using and returning 3 or 4 other brands of component cables. This is getting me angry cause that means I can't use my capturing device which requires component.

Message 11 of 25 (1,966 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 5, 2012
Hope you see this! I am having the exact same issue with component cables not working from av multicord. I have tried everything, even buying hdmi to component video converters; still no luck. I saw you were able to get yours to work. I tried duplicating what seemed to be an easy process but still only picks up composite and hdmi, no component. Will you give me a step-by- step breakdown? I can't figure it out and if I spend more hours on or money on conversion cables my wife is going to divorce me.
Message 12 of 25 (1,943 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 5, 2012

EVILKnie wrote:
Hope you see this! I am having the exact same issue with component cables not working from av multicord. I have tried everything, even buying hdmi to component video converters; still no luck. I saw you were able to get yours to work. I tried duplicating what seemed to be an easy process but still only picks up composite and hdmi, no component. Will you give me a step-by- step breakdown? I can't figure it out and if I spend more hours on or money on conversion cables my wife is going to divorce me.

Help youself.....

http://us.playstation.com/support/index.htm

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 25 (1,940 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 2, 2013
I'm having the same exact problem but mine won't fix like yours did Smiley Sad I'm extremely disappointed in sony right now I just wanna throw this piece of crap out Idk what to do I have tried everything...and like you I bought my cables off of amazon and returns are hell one thing is for sure I will never use component again as long as I live...I have never been able to get component cables to work for some reason..they suck
Message 14 of 25 (1,657 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 15, 2013
Omg! Thank you so much! It worked! Turning off my ps3 & unplugging everything then plugging back in & hold down the power button on ps3 for the second beep worked! Thanks a BUNCH!
Message 15 of 25 (1,620 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 9, 2015
Thanks. We were having the same problem. I did what you said and held power button in until the 2nd beep. Presto! LoL
Message 16 of 25 (869 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1763 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2015

IRON_CROSS_619 wrote:

Well the ones pictured are COMPOSITE. With not knowing your TV. You could of reset both. OR plugged the AV input all the way on the PS3.

If you don't beleve me google it.

Even though that picture says component its wrong.

Glad your system is working for you.!!!!

No, you're wrong.

COMPOSITE is red, white & yellow, has been around much longer and is inferior to Component. The video signal runs through the yellow cable and is a composite of the components that run through component's red, blue & green cables. The red & white are right and left stereo audio.

COMPONENT is red, green & blue. The R/G/B being the components of what run all together through composite's yellow cable. Component sometimes comes with additional red & white stereo audio, but are usually run with either a single (often orange) digital audio cable or an optical digital audio cable (Toslink). 

All that being said, any of the signals can technically run through any of the different colored cables so long as they are matched correctly at each end. The only problem with that is the cables intended for audio are often a thinner guage.

Trust me, home theater has been my hobby and I have been (non-professionally) installing systems for over 20 years.

Garbage Wide photo Garbage wide resized_zpsb09ke73a.jpg
Message 17 of 25 (851 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4930 posts

Dec 10, 2015
Yes. I remember the 3-cable RCA plug connection from ages ago with the 8-bit home computers.
The 5-cable system is more recent (relatively speaking), and better quality.

To be honest, many manufacturers probably don't know or can't be bothered to differentiate between the two.
Message 18 of 25 (836 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1763 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2015

Nakatsu_Hime wrote:
Yes. I remember the 3-cable RCA plug connection from ages ago with the 8-bit home computers.
The 5-cable system is more recent (relatively speaking), and better quality.

To be honest, many manufacturers probably don't know or can't be bothered to differentiate between the two.

Yeah, Composite has been around forever and is extremely low-end, especially now. The S-Video cable (a circular connection with pins arranged in a "V" pattern) is superior but never really became a widely accepted standard. A lot of devices used it, but it remained somewhat in the background except to us hobbyists. Component was the last analog standard before digital cables started becoming the norm.

Garbage Wide photo Garbage wide resized_zpsb09ke73a.jpg
Message 19 of 25 (833 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4930 posts

Dec 10, 2015
Yes, S-Video never got the popularity it probably deserved.
We always got foisted with that god-awful Scart standard, if you could ever have called it a standard.
Message 20 of 25 (824 Views)
0 Likes