Jun 19 2011
By: Raidenwins0 First Son 5 posts

Why would a PS3 not work with component cables?

[ Edited ]
25 replies 37484 views Edited Dec 11, 2015

I want to hook up component cables to use with my PS3, but it just keeps showing me a blank screen. The component cables are the official kind, made by SONY, and are brand new, literally just opened the box. Here is what I have tried:

1. Connected one end of the component cables to the back of the PS3, where it says "AV Multiport OUT"

2. Connected the Y Rb Rc and the audio Red and White ends to the Component In on the back of my TV. The TV is 24 inch Dynex LCD.

3. On my PS3 went to System Settings and then Display Settings and Video Output. I picked the Component option (2nd from top), clicked X, nothing, just blank screen.

4. In the same menu I picked the last option AV something (last option at the bottom), then on the next screen I picked Y Rb Rc and clicked X, still blank screen.

5. Then I picked the AV Option and then RGB, blank screen again.

6. I turned my PS3 off. With the Component cables connected I pressed on the power button, it beeped once, I kept it pressed until it beeped a second time (which should pick up whichever cables are connected) and then let go off of it. My TV just said, "No signal or signal cannot be displayed". Using the remove for my TV I tried every input possible, Cable TV, Antenna TV, Composite 1, Composite 2, S-Video, Component, HDMI 1, HDMI 2. Still no picture.

7. I tried step #6 a few times, still no picture.

8. I made sure I get picture with HDMI and Composite cables and I did, it works just fine with those two. Just not with Component.

9. Frustrated, I called SONY. The customer service rep had me double-check the cables were connected properly, which they were as I had double checked and triple checked and quadruple checked.

10. Then she had me turn the PS3 off, unplug the power cord and plug it back in. Then she had me do step #6, i.e. hold power button until after the second beep. Still no picture.

11. Finally she had me turn the PS3 off by holding the power button. Then hold the power button again until it beeped 3 times in a quick succession. Still no picture.

12. Then I was told to try my Composite cables that came with the PS3 and if that worked it meant that there was something wrong with the Component cables. I did try it and it did work, so basically this confirmed there was nothing wrong the AV Multiport OUT on the back of my PS3.

13. I also browsed through all Menu options on my TV to make sure there wasn't an option for turning Component input on or some such, but I couldn't find anything.

So, I guess the next thing to do is get new Component cables and try it again, but I don't want to spend the money for it unless I am absolutely sure there is no other option.

Any ideas why that could be happening?

Mod Edit: Moved from PS General to Consoles and Peripherals Support. - Sassyknot

Message 1 of 26 (37,484 Views)
MVP Support
7516 posts

Re: Why would a PS3 not work with component cables?

Jun 19, 2011

Sounds to me like you tried everything, but why would you buy new cables? You should be able to just exchange them.

Message 2 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 19, 2011

Because I got it from Amazon and it would be a pain to exchange. I could, but it'd take longer.

Message 3 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 19, 2011

You positive that the cables are plugged all the way into the system.

When I first got mine. I plugged them and it took a little force.

If you got an old PS2 around the cables are 1 to 1. Except the PS2 cable is way longer. Which I'm using.

Remember, Componet and Composite cables are different.

Componet cables are the RCA type Red, White, and Yellow.

Composite seen here;

http://img.game.co.uk/images/gameware/ps2componentvideocable.gif

Do you have another TV to try your system with?

Message 4 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 19, 2011

No, the ones on the picture you have are Component. Composite are Red, White, and Yellow.

Yes, I have checked many times and the cables are plugged all the way in. I used sufficient force to make sure they are very well plugged in. And nope, I don't have another TV to try the cables on.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with my TV now, because those are brand new cables, SONY brand. Either that or I am just missing something obvious.

Message 5 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 19, 2011

Holy sh$%! Now it's working just fine. All i did was connect the Component cables with the PS3 off and power cord unplugged, then plug the power cord back in, press and hold the power button on the PS3 untl it beeped the second time and that was it. I had done all of those thnigs yesterday too. Weird! If somebody can explain this to me that would be great.

Message 6 of 26 (37,484 Views)
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 20, 2011

Well the ones pictured are COMPOSITE. With not knowing your TV. You could of reset both. OR plugged the AV input all the way on the PS3.

If you don't beleve me google it.

Even though that picture says component its wrong.

Glad your system is working for you.!!!!

Message 7 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 20, 2011

I googled "PS3 Component cable" and here is an exact picture of what I have, which i know is Component because it says so on the box:

ps3_component_cable.jpg

As you can see it is the same color scheme as the cables on your picture, i.e. Green, Blue, Red, White, Red and it is Component.

Message 8 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Jun 20, 2011

IRON_CROSS_619 wrote:

Well the ones pictured are COMPOSITE. With not knowing your TV. You could of reset both. OR plugged the AV input all the way on the PS3.

If you don't beleve me google it.

Even though that picture says component its wrong.

Glad your system is working for you.!!!!

No, OP is right. Your picture is of component cables. Composite are the ones with a red, white, and yellow, with the video image being on one channel (composited). Component cables split the video image into 3 separate components (Y, CB, CR) so that they are not composited into a single cable.

Message 9 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 24, 2011

did you change the source the TV displays?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 26 (37,484 Views)
0 Likes