Dec 22 2013
By: shadowfaxframe First Son 2 posts

Why has Sony alienated those of us who enjoy media playback?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 510 views Edited Dec 22, 2013

I know this post probably won't do any good. Even writing to Sony executives would probably do little good, as I'm just one consumer, a drop in a huge financially downpouring bucket. At the same time though I feel I have the right to speak my peace, so here it is.

Sony, for the time being, you have foresaken me as a customer. I've been a dedicated Sony customer since  I received my first Playstation system as a gift in 1999. I've absolutely loved you as a company and your gaming systems have been my walk-along as I've grown up and began playing more and more advanced games. Up until now it's seemed like every new system you've released was ahead of the curb and then some, and even given the choice of "converting" to PC gaming or an XBox I've stuck with your products out of loyalty and preference.

Now the PS4 has released, and we're learning it doesn't support external drives, not for photos, music or video. WHAT?!
This is a feature that seems pretty divisive in the community. Many people here are dedicated gamers with more than one system and who don't so much as sneeze when you remove these media functions. A lot of us however came to welcome the PS3 as central parts of our homes specifically BECAUSE it did so many amazing things with media. From my PS3 I could show off vacation photos in high res on my 52" TV, play movies sold as digital backups with some of my disc purchases or home/vacation films and let my friends listen to my piano recordings. You've recently stepped back and announced that you would add some level of audio support which is great, but what about the rest? My PS3 is an aging system and won't be around forever, plus I want to make the jump to next gen. I don't want to commit to this closed wall experience that Playstation has seemingly become however. I understand that Sony holds huge stakes in media and piracy prevention is important but in reality taking away media functionality from the PS4 does absolutely NOTHING to prevent piracy. Do you want to know why? Nobody downloaded pirated movies on the Playstation system anyways. No, they transferred already pirated files to a USB drive and played them back on the PS3. Notice the problem in the current equation? The capability for piracy is still there and movies and music are and will still be pirated en masse with no effect on that. The only thing that taking media functionality away does is prevent legitimate consumers like myself and many others from being able to use our sytem for what we want to use it for, and it's so pointless. 

I doubt this will ever even be seen by a Sony employee, but I would so much love to know why. I feel lied to  and cheated, especially after E3 where the PS4 was touted as THE media hub for the home, the ultimate in entertainment. No, it's the ultimate at what Sony wants it to be the ultimate at it seems, which is gaming and Sony-approved media. USB drives aren't even recognized by the system, which forces people to essentially "Go Sony or go home."

No thanks Sony, you won't have my money while your business practices are this greed centric and quite frankly insulting and offensive. You're apparently so concerned with a bottom line that's not even actually affected by media playback on the system that you have alienated thousands of dedicated Sony fans and system users as well as blatantly misled us into believing the PS4 would do everything the PS3 does and more. Thus, matter little though it may, for the time being and unti you return to customer-centric business practices I won't be buying a Playstation 4 or any Sony product for that matter, and that includes Music Unlimited which I previously enjoyed greatly. Not even Microsoft, reputed among gamers and so many others as greed incarnate, has made this kind of decision. I hope you change your minds Sony, because I still love your systems and quite honestly I don't want to "convert" to an XBox or buy a gaming PC. You've forced my hand though and it's regrettable considering the loyalty I've previously felt to your company.

Thanks anyone who read and considered for doing so, goodnight all.

Message 1 of 9 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
262 posts

Re: Why has Sony alienated those of us who enjoy media playback?

Dec 22, 2013
There's a chance that support for media will be patched in at a later date. It's being discussed and worked out but I wouldn't say that there's not a possibility of it happening.
Message 2 of 9 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Dec 22, 2013

If you had read some of the early reviews before the system came out, you would have known that these things you enjoyed in the ps3 were not in the PS4, for the time being of course. Rumor has it that some old features will be added in the next few months. when? i don't know. When you buy something without knowing what you are and are not getting. THATS ON YOU. You chose to buy the system, SONY never hid anything. so why some are surprised is beyond me.

Message 3 of 9 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

They are aware and will likely update the system with more media functionality soon.

The date of this article should indicate why this should not be a surprise to anyone.

http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

Welcome to the Playstation Forums.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 4 of 9 (497 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
262 posts

Dec 22, 2013
Part of the issue Sony had with allowing media transfer was that the media itself was more than likely pirated.
Message 5 of 9 (492 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

Maybe you misread Latin, or maybe I could have been clearer in my OP so I'll clarify.

I haven't bought a PS4 yet and I was aware of the lack of media support from sometime before November up until launch. At E3 however the PS4 was the hot buzz and excited us all with promises of so much capability. Maybe it was naivete but I'd hoped it would be thrown in if they saw it could create a backlash from the community, and that actually seems to have worked as far as audio support. Those of us who had hoped it would do more (or even what the PS3 did) are still waiting though, and I can't in good conscience pay $400 to a company with business practices I disagree so strongly with and which is only good for paid services or gaming while its competitors are essentially entertainment hubs.

To fastpaced, I realize that they take issue with pirated media playback on their systems, but my point is that the media has already been pirated. It's not as if they're stopping piracy, they're just forcing pirates to watch on A) another system B) their computers or C) the inevitably jailbroken systems. By removing media playback they're not harming the pirates at all, they're inconveniencing people like myself though who just want to be able to show my family my clips I recorded in Australia and Joe Schmoe who wants to show off his baby pictures to his family on the big TV.

Message 6 of 9 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

Read the article I posted, what you are asking for will happen.

Wait till it does, then you are good to go.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 7 of 9 (484 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Dec 22, 2013

Then the choice should be easy for you then. The XBOX one is clearly for you. Sony decided to go in another direction, for the time being of course. So i dont know why it sounds like you are getting all worked up and emotional about a system you havent purchased.  Companies don't care about us, so why should you. Move on. no big deal.

Message 8 of 9 (481 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
23 posts

Dec 22, 2013
I expect if you examined the legality of all local media files being played you'd see why companies aren't in any rush to provide support. Especially those who host their own streaming platforms.
Message 9 of 9 (449 Views)
0 Likes