First Son
2 posts

Re: PS4 Pro Fan Noise

Nov 18, 2016

I'm hoping that variance is the issue that I had.  I exchanged my Pro for new one because of a loud fan.  This new one seems to be running a bit quieter, but the fans still run when I'm gaming.  From what I'm being told though, the fans running is a normal thing. 

Message 11 of 20 (1,168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 18, 2016

Do you have a disc in?  I am on my second Pro, both have the same issue.  If I have disc in, the drive never stops spinning.  Some disc the spinning is unnoticed unless you have your ear next to it.  That spinning generates alot of heat.  Kicks my fans into overdrive, when playing games.  Keep the disc out when playing digital games no issue.

Message 12 of 20 (1,137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 18, 2016

i have no issue with fan noise from PS Pro. Its quiet

Message 13 of 20 (1,120 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 19, 2016

I spent hours last night since I had some free time trying to figure out the fan/video/sound issue.  Undoubtdedly the fans are going to spin up and go faster and faster during heavy gameplay load.  However, they would go full blast, low, middle, faster, slower, fastest.  There was nothing gradual about the ramp up of rpms, they were just all over the place.  Along with the video cutting out and the ps4 pro getting extremly hot I was guessing that it wasn't getting enough power.  Being a self contained box and just having to plug in the power cord doesn't leave much room for error on getting the power correct unless something inside the ps4 pro was defective.  Turns out, and this may not be everyone's issue with the crazy fans as I seem to have been the only one with video/audio dropping, that the power cord wasn't pushed into the system all the way.  It lacked about 1/8 inch from being fully seated.  I guess this gave it enough power to do fine until it had to pull that extra for graphically intensive gameplay.  That would also explain it getting super hot.  After I pushed the power cord in as far as I could possibly get it the system has been running fine with everything I've thrown at it since.  It gets warm, not hot, the fans appear to be ramping up instead of going crazy, and no more video/audio loss.

Message 14 of 20 (1,093 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 19, 2016

may need a good blow out with some compressed air.  If it sounds like it is struggling maybe contact service?  Might as well get a replacement while you can.

Message 15 of 20 (1,080 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 16, 2016
Mine sounds like a turbine when playing Titanfall 2. More or less all the time.
Normal??
Message 16 of 20 (930 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 15, 2017

I picked up a ps4 pro on this week and it sounded like a jet plane when playing occasionally and the fans ran at a lower noise level otherwise.  I exchanged it for another pro and the new one is almost silent.  So there are definitely issues with some of the units.  

Message 17 of 20 (790 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jan 19, 2017

I also had weird, inconsistent fan rpm sound on my PS4 Pro while playing Watch Dogs 2 (the only game I've played on Pro so far).  I checked the power and HDMI cables to make sure I'd plugged them in tightly, and they were.  I figured it was something to do with the game and went on playing.  After a few days of this, my Pro suddenly started making a very strange clicking noise when booting it up.  It ran the game fine the first day and stopped making the clicking noise once the game was running (disc version, btw).  The next day, it didn't make the noise at all and seemed fine.  On the third day of this, however, it made the noise again and took *forever* to boot to the UI - I'm talking 5 minutes!  I got into the game, and the game ran fine, though the noise continued.  I opened a return ticket on Amazon that night, knowing that this noise meant bad things.  Sure enough, 2 days later, the Pro wouldn't even boot to the UI.  I turned it off, came back later and was able to do a factory reset, and back to Amazon it went.  When I got  the new Pro from Amazon (who has an *amazing* return policy, btw), I had to restart Watch Dogs 2 from the beginning because it didn't save to the cloud, for whatever reason.  On this new Pro, the fans have never revved  - not once.  The rpms seem consistent, and the fan noise is always very quiet.  I'm guessing there is some issue with either defective fans or defective internal temperature sensors, and in my case, these problems lead to the eventual death of my hdd due to overheating.  =[

Message 18 of 20 (750 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 13, 2017
This is so freaking weird!
How can Sony have so bad quality?
My one week old Pro is quiet yes, but have a really bad inconsistent rpm fan. Up, down, up down...
Take my new Pro, one day old from a different shop. Start rpm is a bit more than the other one?! Revs up faster and sits att a higher rpm then the other. So do it sits there? No! Revs upp and down and upp and so on. But more stable and sits more in a steady rpm(but higher) then the other Pro.. How is this possible!?
third time's the charm :/
Message 19 of 20 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

last month

Do you stand your PS4 upright or lay it flat?

Message 20 of 20 (276 Views)