Nov 16 2013
By: saga1977 First Son 4 posts

PS4 Hard Crashes on PSN Sign-in

3 replies 124 views Edited Nov 16, 2013

When I sign into PSN, the logo spins briefly, sound cuts out, the logo freezes, and then a few seconds later, the system hard powers off (shuts down).  The lights don't change; no red flashing, etc.  Just suddenly it's off with no warning.  It happens 100% of the time.  If I don't sign into PSN, everything seems fine.  No crashes.

I thought I had a defective unit but I got a replacement at a Sony Store and still have this problem, so I suspect it's something with my account or PSN itself or something.  My account is in good standing, worked fine with my PS3, etc etc.

Message 1 of 4 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: PS4 Hard Crashes on PSN Sign-in

Nov 17, 2013
bump
Message 2 of 4 (105 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Nov 17, 2013

Kind of related, on mine I would be scrolling through the PSN store, and would be kicked out to the HUD. 

Message 3 of 4 (100 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 17, 2013
I've determined the problem is with the PS4's handling of DNS resolution. Depending on your router's configuration, it may be annotating DNS responses with "authoritative" sections. This seems to knock the PS4 over, either because of the size of responses, or it not understanding the extra fields.

If you use bind 9 as your DNS server (which some routers do), you can fix it by adding "minimal-responses: yes;" to the global "options" section of your configuration and restarting bind. Once done, you should be good to go.

The real fix is on Sony's side in their networking code, but the above is a workaround.
Message 4 of 4 (70 Views)