Nov 16 2013
By: Drewstruction First Son 3 posts

PS4 Downloading = Incredibly slow.

9 replies 2320 views Edited Nov 16, 2013

So, got my PS4 yesterday, hooked up... all very well and good.

Connected to my wifi, no problem. The connection was almost instantaneous. However, when it comes to actually downloading, it has been TERRIBLE!

I got the whole system set up @ about 2:00 EST and I started the 1.50 system update.

IT TOOK UNTIL 6:30 EST. And from what I read, most people finished downloading in about 5 minutes! Couldn't make a PSN account either, but I attributed that to the issues that were befalling Sony at that time. When I reattempted later in the evening, I made the account.

I bought AC:BF and started downloading it. There were 3 files or so, 2 of which were relatively small and one being the main game. I started this download at around 11:00PM EST.

It is now 11:30AM EST and I am less than 10% complete with its download. One file that was around 137 MB downloaded overnight, but the rest of them are just... absolutely mind-blowingly slow.

I contacted Xfinity to see if it was perhaps an issue on their end for my internet. They pinged my router and reset the gateway, and this seemed to help... for all of about 30 seconds. Then the internet slowed back to a trickle. What's worse is that my other electronic devices (such as the laptop I'm writing this from) are all suffering terribly slow load times, as well. However, when I had disconnected the PS4 at one point, my internet returned to working normally on my other devices.

Now, you might say that it's simply because it's a big file and taking a larger share of the wifi connection, right? Well, I regularly download 6+ gig files on my laptop without so much as a hiccup in load speeds for the other computers and devices in my home. Turn on the PS4 and start downloading? DEAD.

You also might suggest it's in a poor location for the wifi. My other gaming systems, both with internet capabilities. They experience no issues when I play with them, no lag or latency issues. Location seems to be peachy keen.

For the record, my internet normally clocks in around 27MBps when downloading. Since this issue has arisen with my PS4, I am getting somewhere between 0.3 - 0.5 MBps.

I have tried to get this resolved elsewhere with little resolution. I don't know what is wrong, and I do not know what to do. Is it the PS4 itself? Is there an issue with it? Is it still the PSN having issues with server overload? Is it my internet company throttling the data? Are they experiencing server overload in my area? I have absolutely no idea, but after being on hold for over an hour, I figured I wasn't getting any answers fast.

So please, does anyone have any insight? Suggestions? i'd try a wired connection, but unfortunately, my router is on the opposite side of the house and I have no cable long enough. I'm terrified to unplug it and lose the progress I've already made!

Message 1 of 10 (2,320 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
20 posts

Re: PS4 Downloading = Incredibly slow.

Nov 16, 2013

Yeah, wifi downloads are terribly slow. Unfortunately, ethernet made all the difference for me. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 10 (2,303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2013

My wifi DL's are fine, they do about a mb a second. Sounds like your connection maybe? I downloaded AC4 and BF4 in about an hour, bf4 little longer hour and 30, all wifi though

Message 3 of 10 (2,297 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 16, 2013
It's odd, I've contacted Xfinity multiple times about it. They said that most recently there is a compatibility issue popping up between PSN and their service. That seems like an odd answer to me, though...
Message 4 of 10 (2,271 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 16, 2013
I was thinking that it was just my wifi, but as I said, i regularly download huge files on my laptop without issue. :/ it seems so weird for a next gen system to do this!
Message 5 of 10 (2,268 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 16, 2013
I'm having the same issue as well, the worst part is that when i have my PS4 on all of my other devices internet takes a severe hit and it slows to almost nothing, you wouldn't believe me if i said i had internet. I don't understand what the heck the problem is, AT&T even rebooted our internet but nothing has changed.
Message 6 of 10 (2,257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 21, 2013
Hi, I am having the exact same issue. When my PS4 is on my internet speeds drop to .05 mbit/sec according to Speedtest.net
After I turn the PS4 off everything goes back to normal. I tried this several times and I can say without a doubt that its the PS4. I'll try resetting it or turning off some features see if that helps.
Message 7 of 10 (1,449 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Dec 22, 2013

You are all describing my exact issue w/ Xfinity!  Seems like there should be some setting in the modem that would be a simple fix, but I cannot find it!!  I will return if I find it.... I plan on spending time w/ customer support on Monday!

Message 8 of 10 (1,428 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 25, 2014
Has anyone found the solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. When ps4 downloading, rest of my devices stop working.
Message 9 of 10 (904 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Feb 6, 2015
They've laways been slow,I never have this problem with my Xbox,I can download games twice as fast. I always figured it was because Sonys servers are in China or some **bleep**. I'm not very tech savvy but to me you'd think they'd want to be as fast or even faster then Microsoft. It takes me sometimes 3 hours to download a game and I have top notch Internet speeds I'm working with 40-60 meg and it's still slow.
Message 10 of 10 (445 Views)
0 Likes