Sep 14 2011
By: KericInfinitum First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 Won't Recognize Component Cables

5 replies 18791 views Edited Sep 14, 2011

Lately I purchased a capture device so I could record off of my PS3 but I was using HDMI and the device used component. I purchased on off brand component cable and tried to use that but I didn't get anything only a black screen and after some personal trouble shooting I figured I got a crap cable so I returned it the next day and got my money back then went and got Sony's PS3 multi AV component cable.

When I tried it didn't work either so I looked online to see if I could find the answer but everything I saw what exactly like what I was doing: switching the connection type manually and when that didn't work I did the reset by holding the power button down when on standby and have the power led for from red to green to red and power it on. This time I got sound but nothing on the screen it was a step up but not correct.

I looked online again and read some people said that they didn't have the cable all the way in so I made sure this time that I did and nothing changed. So I got my composite cable and hooked my PS3 to my old tv to see if it was the Multi AV out not working in general but I was able to get picture and sound with my composite cable. So I went back to my monitor and tried the component cable again and this time it seemed to work but the video resolution and quality wasn't right so I checked my display settings and it seemed to be recognizing the component cable as a composite even though it was plugged into the proper component plugs. So I tried to change the display settings to component and then the screen goes black.

Since I wasn't getting any video I shut down my PS3 and tried the reset process again. Once again it set itself to composite even though I had component plugged in. Wondering if it was my moniter I shut down my PS3 and plug the cables into the capture device to see if it'd record anyway. Once again I'd get sound through but no video since my PS3 wasn't truly sending component signal but composite.

Frustrated I turn off my PS3, unplug the cable from the multi AV port and plug my HDMI to my monitor and turned on my PS3. It immediately recognized the HDMI cable and set my display to 1080p HMDI display and sound and worked fine.

I'm wondering if some of the contacts in my Multi AV port my be corroded or dirty causing my PS3 to not recognize the component cable. I hope there is a fix I can do cause I just don't have 100-200 dollar to send it in and have Sony fix it. -_-;

Edit: I once again returned the cables I had and got another pair and the same thing. I really think my Multi AV out port is defective.

Message 1 of 6 (18,791 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Re: PS3 Won't Recognize Component Cables

Sep 15, 2011

Ok. Everytime you change the wires to a different type like HDMI to Component, you have to reset the display settings. To do this turn off your PS3, make sure that the component wrie is plugged in, in your case, then press the ON button on your PS3 and HOLD IT, until you hear a series of beeps after the initial startup beep, and you should be all set.

Message 2 of 6 (18,791 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Aug 20, 2012

i also have the same problem but i have tryed on another tv and it has recognized my component cables which are also off brand and when i returned to my original tv nothing black screen Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6 (18,499 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Aug 20, 2012
You need to reset your video settings as MrLegendz described.
Message 4 of 6 (18,495 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 22, 2012

MrLegendz wrote:

Ok. Everytime you change the wires to a different type like HDMI to Component, you have to reset the display settings. To do this turn off your PS3, make sure that the component wire is plugged in, in your case, then press the ON button on your PS3 and HOLD IT, until you hear a series of beeps after the initial startup beep, and you should be all set.

I was having a similar problem with my PS3. Then when I did tried your method, my PS3 came up perfectly! Thank you! Robot Very Happy

Message 5 of 6 (18,472 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 7, 2015
It worked great.. I held the power button til it beeped and shut off.. Game was reset for the three cables.. Not hdmi.. Thanks for the help..
Message 6 of 6 (9,624 Views)
0 Likes