Aug 29 2009
By: SKOT_FREE Uncharted Territory 2114 posts

PS3 Self-cleaning Intructions?? Is this for real????

[ Edited ]
19 replies 62809 views Edited Apr 4, 2016

I was googling "PS3 CLEANING TIPS" When I ran across instructions on How to Make the PS3 go into SELF-CLEAN Mode and Blow the dust that gets into the console out by turning on all fans. From what I read it was only 40 and 60GB Units that this works on.  So It says Turn off PS3 from the switch located on the back and when turning it back on Hold down the Eject button and the PS3 will come on with all Fans Blazing and Blowing out the dust inside. Now my questions are (1) does this really work and more Importantly (2) will this cause my PS3 to go into overdrive and accelerate the YLOD happening?

MOD EDIT: Moved from PlayStation® General Forum. -minako85v
" PS3 CREED"
This is my PS3.There are many like it but this one is mine. My PS3 is my best friend.It is my life.I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my PS3 is useless. Without my PS3 I am useless. I must fire my dual shock true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to frag me. I must shoot him before he shoots me.I will before Kevin Butler swear this creed. My PS3 and myself are defenders of my clan. we are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it until there is no XB but peace. Amen.
Message 1 of 20 (62,809 Views)
Sackboy
639 posts

Re: PS3 Self-cleaning Intructions?? Is this for real????

Aug 29, 2009
It's the fan test, don't do it unless you want to cough up $150 or $300 for a slim.
HIYAH!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 20 (62,809 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2114 posts

Aug 29, 2009

Whew Thank you, I was thinking of trying it too since I was cleaning my entertainment center. Don't need or want a Slim anytime soon. Thanks.

" PS3 CREED"
This is my PS3.There are many like it but this one is mine. My PS3 is my best friend.It is my life.I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my PS3 is useless. Without my PS3 I am useless. I must fire my dual shock true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to frag me. I must shoot him before he shoots me.I will before Kevin Butler swear this creed. My PS3 and myself are defenders of my clan. we are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it until there is no XB but peace. Amen.
Message 3 of 20 (62,809 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
530 posts

Aug 29, 2009

It's just a fan test.  It really doesn't do much, maybe blow around some big chunks of dust.  It just runs the fans @ max speed.

It definitely won't cause YLOD or a problem.  I've used it like 3 or 4 times... but the best solution for cleaning is to open up your unit and use compressed air to clean it.  (It will void your warranty, but I'm way outside 1 year).

It's nothing to worry about if you want to try it.

Message 4 of 20 (62,809 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Aug 29, 2009

VivaGardner wrote:

It's just a fan test.  It really doesn't do much, maybe blow around some big chunks of dust.  It just runs the fans @ max speed.

It definitely won't cause YLOD or a problem.  I've used it like 3 or 4 times... but the best solution for cleaning is to open up your unit and use compressed air to clean it.  (It will void your warranty, but I'm way outside 1 year).

It's nothing to worry about if you want to try it.

Agreed. Don't believe the hype. The fan test SONY does not reccommend is to turn your 60gb on its back, trapping the heat which kicks the fan up. This will destroy your unit.

i113

RIP Michael Jackson 8-29-58 - 6-25-09
Message 5 of 20 (62,809 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2114 posts

Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for the response because as I was researching, For every 3 people that said it was cool, there were 2 others that said it would damage PS3. Then they say SONY suggest taking a Vaccum and Getting the dust out. They also say the Condensed Air method is not reccomended as well, But I see people on the Boards that say they do that one, so Its hard to know what Info is correct or not. Thanks again.
" PS3 CREED"
Message 6 of 20 (62,809 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Aug 29, 2009

No

dont do it

if you can the best thing to do is to open it up and clean it, specially the fan and around it

Photobucket
Message 7 of 20 (62,810 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 27, 2012

UH< sorry but it does work I've performed this several times. It is a SELF CLEANING function not a fan test.

Message 8 of 20 (60,376 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29622 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2012

SKOT_FREE wrote:
I was googling...

Ugh, people, don't implicitly trust Google. As the late Rodney Dangerfield used to say, the last guy who did this, he could have been a maniac!

There are VERY clear instructions on how to clean the PS3 in your owner's manual. You just have to be willing to do one thing; open it up and READ IT.

And don't bump old topics either.

Message 9 of 20 (60,368 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 28, 2012

it only works on the 40Gb..... I've tried on both my 60Gb and 80Gb, no dice

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 20 (60,339 Views)
0 Likes