Oct 18 2012
By: LasT_KinGz_415 First Son 4 posts

My ps3 isnt reading disc

15 replies 315 views Edited Oct 18, 2012

i was playing a game on my ps3 the other day and it had some glitches. it was stuck on a scene and didnt move so i restarted the match and it got back to normal but then again it froze so i clicked Quit game. it took a while to quit the game and the ps3 restarted and made a beep sound. then i tried to click on the game i was playing and it didnt pop up. and from there on, any of my games wont show the icon to start up. 

Any suggestions guys? 

i also have a question, i still have the sticker on the ps3, does that mean i can send it in to repair for free? or how does it work? 

Message 1 of 16 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Re: My ps3 isnt reading disc

Oct 18, 2012

Press and hold the power button until you hear 2 FAST BEEPS.

Select option #3. This will check the hard drive for errors.

It is possible that this fixes the problem. If it doesn't you need to replace the blu ray drive.

If the warranty sticker is gone then you need a third part to repair it. OR as some folks say here just go buy a new one since they are only $250...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 2 of 16 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 18, 2012

No i still have the sticker on the ps3. and if i restore will i lose any content on the ps3 or lose the accounts. bcuz i dont have the password for one of the accounts and i dont want to lose that account

Message 3 of 16 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Just make sure you select the #3 option and no data will be lost.

Contact sony if you'd like it's possible they may offer you some type of repair.

Message 4 of 16 (276 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 18, 2012

oh ok thx for the advice really appreciate it

Message 5 of 16 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Oct 18, 2012

i hear people almost daily saying "you need to replace the laser in this because i already tried cleaning it" but the simple fact is most people do not clean it right or with the right alcohol....you can NOT use that cheap 70-80% stuff as it leaves a water film on the lense probably making it worse than it originally was..but at walmart you can get a big bottle of 92% and this does the trick 9 out of 10 times..i have a drawer here that has over 25 good lasers because people have bought a replacement because they thought it was bad and did not clean it right...use just a dab and go side to side and round the lense and use the dry side to wipe it good and then use a magnifying glass to check the lense for any smudges if theres any redo it because these are sensitive but i have found from real life proof that most of the time theres absolutely nothing wrong with them other than dirty....i also found this same solution with the ps2's and the rate was about the same as these ps3's but they push these parts like crack so people just think"oh i need that"...when more than likely you don't.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 6 of 16 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2012

The laser being dirty could very well be the problem. 9 out of 10 times is completely bogus though. I have a room full of bad lasers, spindle motors, door motors, ect. from 360's and PS3's.

Message 7 of 16 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15564 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Check the back of the disc for sctaches or smudges. Clean off the smudges and try again. If that's not the issue, try another game disc. If that doesn't read or a 3rd disc doesn't read, then you need a new PS3. Because if your system isn't ready any discs, then it's clearly broken. And repairing it is a pain, so just buy a new one.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 8 of 16 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Oct 18, 2012

repairing it is a pain??   its a pretty simple task my son could do at 14 years old..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 9 of 16 (238 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Everyone is different those with large enough bank accounts can break expensive toys throw them away and buy new ones with no problem.

Some people prefer to tear things apart see how they work and put them back together and that's fine too.

Some people aren't good with the tech side of repairs and it can cause major problems. Haven't you ever had someone say "I tried to fix it myself" and they made plenty of mistakes along the way.

I had a customer bring me a PS3 that he literally ripped the top off of and bent the mother board in ways I can't even explain. They wanted me to fix it...I told them to part it out and throw the broken peices away. I can't fix a MB with a 45 degree angle in the center can you?

I haven't seen many facts stated here in a while I see lots of opinions though.

Message 10 of 16 (236 Views)
0 Likes