Highlighted
Nov 09 2013
By: Joystick_Warrior PlayStation Support 4438 posts

[INFO] PSN on PS4

[ Edited ]
0 replies 8514 views Edited Nov 15, 2013

Hey PlayStation Community.

This is the FAQ answering some questions about the PS4 and PSN. These posts are meant to answer basic and commonly asked questions about logging on and utilizing PSN on the PS4. Remember if your question is not answered here, be sure to check our Support Page. We will continue to update and change things as time goes on. 

Is PlayStation Plus necessary for multiplayer gameplay on PS4?

Yes, PlayStation Plus membership is needed for PS4 online multiplayer gaming. PS4 features a significantly enhanced online feature set that will deliver innovative new online gaming experiences.

Will non PS Plus members be able to play free to play online games on PS4?

Certain titles built on a free-to-play model will not require PlayStation Plus for multiplayer functionality in North America. This list currently includes Blacklight Retribution, DC Universe Online, and War Frame in North America.

Can I play online without a Plus membership?

Generally speaking, no. PlayStation Plus membership is required to play the majority of online titles on PS4, however a selection of free-to-play multiplayer titles will be available without a PS Plus membership.

If I’m not a PlayStation Plus member but I log into a PS4 system owned by a PS Plus member, will I be able to play online multiplayer?

Yes. If you don’t have a PS Plus membership, you can still access online multiplayer modes if you log into a PS4 which is set as “Primary” by a PS Plus member. This means that, for example, if one housemate is a PlayStation Plus member, everyone in the household will have access to online multiplayer. Additionally, on the same PS4 system, any games or content purchased by one user are available to other users who play on that console (unless that content has expired).

How many users can play online multiplayer modes on a single PS4 system set as “Primary” by a PS Plus member?

All users can play online multiplayer modes. Up to four users can log in simultaneously to a single PS4 system, and all will have access to multiplayer as long as PS4 is set as “Primary” by a PS Plus member.

How many local accounts does PS4 support?

PS4 supports up to 16 local accounts, in addition to temporary guest accounts.

What are the benefits of PlayStation Plus on PS4? What will I be missing out on if I don’t purchase a PS Plus membership?

PlayStation Plus, the premium game membership for PlayStation home and handheld consoles, delivers unlimited access to a regularly refreshed collection of full games, discounts, exclusive beta access, online storage for game saves, and much more.

What features will be available with PlayStation Plus on PS4?

The following benefits will be available only to PlayStation Plus members on PS4:

• Online Multiplayer
    Enjoy multiplayer competitive and cooperatives games via the internet.
  • Instant Game Collection
    Access to a regular, curated selection of titles made exclusively available to PlayStation Plus members at no additional cost. The PS4 titles available on Instant Game Collection at PS4′s launch in North America will include Resogun and Contrast.
  • Discounts
    Members will have access to exclusive discounts on PlayStation Store.
  • Online Game Save
    Members may automatically (or manually) upload game save files to Online Game Save Storage for safekeeping. Up to 1GB of cloud storage will be allocated to your PS4 save files.
  • Other benefits
    Early access to exclusive game content, automatic game patch downloads and installation, and more.
Does my Plus membership for PS3 or PS Vita systems still count for PS4?

Yes. One PS Plus membership will continue to grant benefits for your PS3 and PS Vita system, even after you pick up a PS4.

Will the Instant Game Collection model be the same on PS4 as for PS3 and PS Vita systems?

We are continuing the spirit of Instant Game Collection on PS4 and offering our users free content and access to new gameplay experiences that foster stronger social connections and discovery. At the launch of PS4, PS Plus members will have access to Resogun and Contrast for no additional charge. PlayStation Plus will then rotate in a new digital PS4 title every month. For one price, PlayStation Plus members get all of the benefits of PS Plus across all supported platforms.

How does PlayStation Plus membership compare on PS4, PS3, and PS Vita systems?

Refer to the comparison chart below:

System Services

PS3 PS Vita PS4
Online multi-player Free on PSN Free on PSN PS Plus members only (certain free-to-play titles may allow online multiplayer)
Automatic game patch download PS Plus members only (Detection to download) PS Plus members only (Detection to download) Free on PSN
Online game saves PS Plus members only PS Plus members only PS Plus members only
Automatic trophy synch PS Plus members only PS Plus members only Free on PSN
Automatic system software downloads All users who have updated to system software 4.50 Will be available to all users after a future system software update Free on PSN

Content Services

PS3 PS Vita PS4
Instant Game Collection PS Plus members only PS Plus members only PS Plus members only
Exclusives PS Plus members only PS Plus members only PS Plus members only
Discounts PS Plus members only PS Plus members only PS Plus members only
Game trials PS Plus members only N/A Will not be offered at PS4 launch

What network services will be free on PS4, without a PlayStation Plus membership?

Some of the features users can enjoy for free include:

• Accessing entertainment, film, and TV services (Users must subscribe separately to individual services)
  • Share options, including sending gameplay video and screenshots to Facebook, screenshots to Twitter, or livestreaming gameplay via Ustream or Twitch
  • Sharing video to Facebook,
  • Playing PS4 games remotely using the PS Vita system (Remote Play)
  • Comparing Trophy data with other users
  • Sending and receiving text messages from other users
  • PlayStation Store access (users must pay to purchase premium content)
  • Live item, activity feeds on Dynamic Menu
  • Party (cross game voice chat)
  • Web browser
  • PlayStation App services (on iOS/Android devices)
What is PlayAsYouDownload? Will all PS4 games support this function?

PlayAsYouDownload is a new feature for the PS4 system that speeds access to games downloaded from PlayStation Store. Supported titles will be playable after users download a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. All titles are compatible this function, but certain titles may not support it at launch in North America.

How much will I need to download before I can start playing with PlayAsYouDownload?

The portion of a game that must be downloaded before gameplay begins will vary title by title, as will the time that it takes to download that initial portion. Users will be able to see when they are able to start playing by an indicator on the download progress meter. Certain titles, such as Killzone: Shadow Fall, will enable you to pick which mode to start downloading first, such as single-player or multiplayer.

Can I access content I’ve purchased on another PS4?

Yes, you can use content you’ve purchased on up to two PS4 systems simultaneously — simply sign into a friends’ PS4, and the content you’ve purchased will be available as long as you remain signed in.

Can more than one person access my content from my PS4?

By setting your home PS4 your “Primary” console, the content you’ve purchased on your account is available to other family members without needing to sign in on your account.

Can two people use my account’s content on two different PS4 at once?

Yes, this is possible.

Will everything transfer from my PS3 system’s PlayStation Store account to my PS4, including Trophies, games, and movies I’ve purchased?

PS4 does not support playback of PS3 games. Trophies are connected to your SEN ID, and will transfer seamlessly to your PS4.

Am I able to buy PlayStation Store content from other regions?

We recommend that people buy from the PlayStation Store in the region in which they signed up in order to ensure the best experience and customer support.

Message 1 of 1 (8,514 Views)