Highlighted
Oct 24 2013
By: Joystick_Warrior PlayStation Support 4447 posts

[INFO] PS4 FAQ

[ Edited ]
0 replies 11208 views Edited Nov 12, 2013

Hey PlayStation Community.

This is the FAQ for the PS4 section of the support forums. These posts are meant to answer basic and commonly asked questions about the PS4 including hardware and video/audio hook ups. Remember if your question is not answered here, be sure to check our Support Page. We will continue to update and change things as time goes on. 

How much does the PS4 system cost? When does it come out?

The PS4 system will retail for USD $399.99 (MSRP) in the United States and CAD $399.99 (MSRP) in Canada when it debuts on November 15th, 2013 in North America. PlayStation Camera and additional DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controllers will retail for $59.99 (MSRP) each.

What comes in the PS4 box at launch?

You’ll get a PS4 system with a 500GB hard drive, a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, a micro-USB cable for charging the DUALSHOCK 4 controller, a Mono-headset for voice chat, a power cable (1.5m), and an HDMI cable (2.0m).

What input/output ports and connectivity features does PS4 support?

HDMI OUT, DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL AUDIO), Ethernet, two USB 3.0 ports, and an auxiliary connector reserved for PlayStation Camera. PS4 also features integrated 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi for wireless internet connectivity and Bluetooth 2.1 for DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller connectivity.

Does PS4 require an external “power brick”?

PS4 is designed with an internal power supply, so it does not have an external “power brick.”

Will users be able to replace PS4’s stock 500GB hard drive? What hard drive sizes are supported?

PS4 owners will be able to replace PS4’s standard hard drive. PS4’s hard drive is used to store downloaded game and video content, game save files, gameplay movies and images, and more.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

What are PS4’s physical dimensions?

PS4 measures approximately 275 mm (width) × 53 mm (height) × 305 mm (length), excluding the largest projection. Its weight is approximately 2.8 kg (6.1 pounds).

What color variations will you offer at launch?

The model color at launch is “Jet Black.”

Can I put my PS4 system in an upright position like the PS3 system?

Yes, PS4 can be used in the horizontal or vertical position. In North America, vertical stands for PS4 will be released by partners as officially licensed program products during PS4’s launch window.

What screen resolutions will PS4 support?

PS4 will support 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video standards via HDMI output.

Will PS4 support 4K content for video or gaming?

Support for high-resolution 4K output for still images and movie content is in consideration, but there are no further details to share at this time. PS4 does not currently support 4K output for games.

Can I use my standard-definition TV with PS4?

The resolution of PS4’s HDMI output changes automatically depending on the TV or monitor connected. Of course, PS4 has been designed to deliver games with rich, high-fidelity graphics that are best enjoyed on HD TVs.

Does PS4 support analog video or audio output?

No. PS4’s video and audio are transmitted using HDMI, a common digital connector found on most HD TVs. Additionally, PS4 can output 5.1 or 7.1 audio via DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL).

Do I need to “reset” my video settings if I change TVs, as on PS3?

This process will not be necessary for PS4.

Will PS4 support any 3D content, including stereoscopic 3D games?

Technically, PS4 supports 3D gameplay at launch in North America, though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible.

How loud is PS4 when it is running?

PS4’s cooling system is optimized for living room use and is generally much quieter than PS3′s. PS4 features a stepless speed fan system that will smoothly increase the speed of the fans as needed. As with all game consoles, it’s important to keep PS4 in an environment with plenty of air circulation.

Does PS4 feature a “stand-by” mode?

Yes, PS4’s stand-by mode deactivates its primary functions to reduce energy usage, though it is still able to charge DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controllers and download system updates in this power-saving mode. As an added benefit for PlayStation Plus members, PS4 can automatically download game patches when in standby mode as well.

Will PS4 require a system software update at launch in North America? How will system updates work post-launch?

Upon the North American launch, PS4 will require a system software update (version 1.50) to add several new features. After you connect to the internet, PS4 will automatically start downloading v1.50 in the background. During this background download process, you’ll be able to play Blu-ray Disc games offline.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?

Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.

Which PS4 features will be available at launch in North America?

The majority of new features that have been announced will be available when PS4 launches. These features include background downloads, cross-game voice chat, transitioning to a network based on real-world friends, and live streaming gameplay footage via Ustream and Twitch. Additional PS4 features will be rolled out in phases – please read full details on what’s available following system software update 1.5, and follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for further news.

What PS4 software features have been announced, but won’t be available at launch in North America?

Below is an overview of certain features that have been announced that will not be available when PS4 launches in North America.

• Share controller via the internet to assist a friend
  • Suspend/Resume mode
  • Wireless Stereo Headsets support
    • Wireless Stereo Headset
    • Pulse Wired Stereo Headset
    • Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition
Does PS4’s graphical user interface have a name like the PS3 system’s “Cross Media Bar”?

PS4’s GUI is called PlayStation Dynamic Menu. We developed the new GUI based on key development ideas for PS4: Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated, and Personalized.

Will PS4 support custom Dynamic Themes, as currently available on the PS3 system?

No, PS4 will not support Dynamic Themes as they currently exist on the PS3 system.

Will I be able to filter system and friend notifications in order to avoid being disturbed while playing a game or watching a movie?

Compared to PS3, you’ll have much more control over displayed notifications, including messages, friend requests, Trophies, download status and more.

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.

Message 1 of 1 (11,208 Views)