Highlighted
Mar 21 2017
By: Musashi_EXE First Son 10 posts

I have a question regarding backing up system data for the PS4 & PS3 consoles.

3 replies 100 views Edited Mar 21, 2017

I have recently bought a larger 2TB Internal Hard Drive for my PS4, and I plan to take the stock 500GB InternalHard Drive which was installed in the PS4 & put than in my PS3 instead.

Now before I do that I'll naturally have to back those up, but before I do that I'd like to have some things clarified so I don't accidentally cause any data corruption.

Because I would like to back up the data on to a 4TB External Hard Drive, which has roughly 1 TB worth of data partitioned for my  Mac Book Pro laptop. I was wondering if I decide to back up my consoles onto that hard drive is there a possibility of data corruption or incompatibility because of the Mac based Partition?

Could Backing up the PS4, the PS3 & my Laptop's data onto one Hard Drive cause any issues during any one of their respected back up routines?

I had tried to ask this question with the PS Support Twitter but all they did was send me to the hard drive swapping instructions which really doesn't answer the question.. -_-;

Message 1 of 4 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34764 posts

Re: I have a question regarding backing up system data for the PS4 & PS3 consoles.

Mar 21, 2017

In theory, it should not.  The consoles will generally ignore any partitions that they don't recognize; which will be anything not formatted as FAT32 for the PS3, and anything not formatted as exFAT or FAT32 for the PS4.  If the console finds a partition that it can use, then it should not disturb any other data on the drive, even in the partition that it is using.  The consoles don't create partitions or format them, except for the PS4 when it is using a drive as system storage.  Not backup.  By the way, the PS3 and the PS4 do not use the same hard drive interface specification, so there is no guarantee that the PS4 hard drive wil work in the PS3. . 

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (81 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: I have a question regarding backing up system data for the PS4 & PS3 consoles.

Mar 21, 2017

Well thats a relief I suppose, I mean I'll have to double check the unused portion of the drive to see if its compatible with the PS4 then considering its been... or I THINK its been Mac formatted so like if its not one of the mentioned format types could I just make more partitions for the PS3 & 4 formatted for their format types?

As for swapping the PS3 & PS4 drives I mean I've seen like a billion people doing it plus I spoke to a guy who's done it I think so it should be fine... in theory anyways.

Message 3 of 4 (69 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11932 posts

Mar 21, 2017
I can confirm that the HDD taken from a PS4 will work in a PS3. While the PS4 HDD is SATA III, HDDs are pretty standard in that they are all backward/forward compatible. A SATA III HDD will work with a SATA II interface, albeit at the SATA II's data rate.

I believe all HDDs manufactured in the past 5 years or so are SATA III.

That being said, if you format the backup partition on your external drive as FAT32, you can backup both your PS3 and PS4 on the same external drive. As @gkpama00 stated, both consoles should ignore the Mac partition.
Message 4 of 4 (57 Views)
0 Likes