Dec 21 2013
By: Koolaid_29 First Son 4 posts

HDMI switch argument

4 replies 762 views Edited Dec 21, 2013

So I just bought a PS4, and it took me a while to find out that there's something wonky with the HDMI cable that came in the package.

I bought a brand new 42" Vizio LED TV about two months ago.  I assumed that since it was bigger than the 32" Insignia that I was using at the time, it would have at least as many HDMI inputs (4 on the 32").  I realized when I went to hook things up that it only has 2.  Since then I bought a 5 port HDMI switch box which has worked perfectly with my PS3, BluRay player, and occasionally my laptop hooked up through it (satellite TV was plugged in the HDMI 1 input on the TV, while the switch box in HDMI 2).  When I plugged my brand new PS4 into this switch, the light on the front went crazy, blinking through 3 of the 5 indicators rapidly and randomly.  When I unplugged it, the switch worked perfectly.  So I unplugged the switch from my TV, and got no signal from the PS4.  So I unplugged my satellite from HDMI 1, and plugged in the PS4, and it worked.  Then I tried to plug in the satellite TV into HDMI 2.  The picture was discolored and I got no sound.  I tried to plug in the switch box into HDMI 2.  No signal.  It seems as if the PS4 ruined that one HDMI input (half of what my TV has) for anything.

So I was trying to troubleshoot how I can have everything plugged into my switch which would be in HDMI 1.  I switched the PS4 HDMI cable out with a generic $2 cable I got off of eBay about 3 weeks ago and plugged that into the switch box.  No funny light play.  Perfect picture on the TV.  No problems with that whatsoever.  I wonder how much a wonky HDMI cable jacked up the cost of my PS4.

Now to figure out how to get the HDMI 2 input on my TV fixed and get the setup the way I want it.

Message 1 of 5 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: HDMI switch argument

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

First thing I would do is call Vizio and tell them the port died.

I have had horrible luck with Vizio gear but the customer service was great.

They came out to my house and replaced a motherboard in my 50" Vizio TWICE in one year. Then I sold it and bought a Sony.

With a 2 month old TV you should have no problem getting it fixed or replaced.

Honestly, I suspect your issue was/is with your TV and it was just a coincidence that it crapped out while installing your PS4.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 2 of 5 (751 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2787 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

Doc_007 wrote:

First thing I would do is call Vizio and tell them the port died.

I have had horrible luck with Vizio gear but the customer service was great.

They came out to my house and replaced a motherboard in my 50" Vizio TWICE in one year. Then I sold it and bought a Sony.

With a 2 month old TV you should have to problem getting it fixed or replaced.

Honestly, I suspect your issue was/is with your TV and it was just a coincidence that it crapped out while installing your PS4.

^ wrong, a shietty cheap hdmi cable could and CAN fry an HDMI port (I forget what my friend said but they either dont' have the shielding to protect from minor surges or the wires are so cheap they can CAUSE a surge, or something.... this was a year ago). I've had it happen THREE times with my U-Verse receiver in my room. U-verse has sent 3 replacement receivers so far, and I didnt' realize it was the cheap **bleep** cables off amazon ($2 cables from .... prolly China) I was using until THEY went bad and no matter which one I used I got lines all over the screen. Now I'm using Amazon Basics and Mediabridge and BlueRigger cables and Cables To Go couplers  (instead of cheap $2 3' port extenders), and havent' had a problem since.

Still no need for the 40-80 dollar cables in best buy lmao (9' Monster cable for $80, what a joke). A GOOD 10' cable with all the trimmimgs (ethernet and 3-D etc etc) is like 10 bucks..... i think. Somewhere around that....

Also, While using those crappy cables still (last year), I had one of the 2 hdmi ports on my Sony Bravia go dead.  Now I know why..... crappy cables.  It was too much of a hassle to get a repair guy to my house (I'm in Miami and the closest authorized repair was in orlando) to replace the TV's motherboard, so they just sent me a new tv and I shipped back the damaged one when it got here. LG.... or Vizio  should be able to do the same for you.

Message 3 of 5 (734 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

Yeah, that's probably it... out of millions of PS4's he got the killer cable... Smiley Tongue

I suppose anything is possible.

Like I said, call Vizio and get your TV fixed.

Toss the cables aside, extra insurance. Best Buy has decent cables on the cheap.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 4 of 5 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2787 posts

Dec 22, 2013

Doc_007 wrote:

Yeah, thats probably it... out of millions of PS4's he got the killer cable... Smiley Tongue

Like I said, call Vizio and get your TV fixed.

Toss the cables aside, extra insurance. Best Buy has decent cables on the cheap.

uhh ya good point lol.... although there were alot of people who couldnt' get a picture, now I'm wondering if it was the power supply in certain batches or a cheap cable. eh w/e

Message 5 of 5 (707 Views)
0 Likes