Oct 27 2010
By: torso187 Splicer 60 posts

HDD Upgrade PS3 Backup and Restore...Restore extremely slow....is this normal?

[ Edited ]
17 replies 5536 views Edited Jan 18, 2016

Hello,
I'm upgrading my HDD from a 250GB to a 320GB hard drive.  I know its such a small increase, but I could use the extra space.  Both hard drives are hard drives that came in Sony PS3 systems.  So they definately work.  I did the transfer from the original 250GB to an external Toshiba Canvio HDD (formatted to Fat32).  It was a 200gb backup file that took about 7 hours to transfer from my PS3 to my External HDD.  Everything went smooth, when I installed the new 320GB HDD into the PS3, that needed a format and the latest update.  No problem.  That went smooth.  Let me into the menu, everything went great so far.  Now I'm restoring my 200gb backup of various ps3 filmes (games, videos, add-ons, saves, gata data, themes, etc etc) to my new PS3 320gb hard drive.  It started great, went to about 60% in about 5 hours, since then, its been sluggish.  VERY SLUGGISH.  Its taken about 4 hours to get from 60% to 69%.  Its been on 69% now for nearly an hour.  Is this normal?  Does anyone know what the problem could be...if there is one.  I'm sorta forced to wait this out, it tells me not to turn off the system or unplug the external HDD.  I would hate to lose all the time I put into it so far.  Any ideas?  Please help, thanks. 

MOD EDIT: Moved from PlayStation® General Forum. -minako85v
Message 1 of 18 (5,536 Views)
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Re: HDD Upgrade PS3 Backup and Restore...Restore extremely slow....is this norma

Oct 27, 2010

I would say it's doing just fine. You are moving A LOT of data.

Message 2 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Re: HDD Upgrade PS3 Backup and Restore...Restore extremely slow....is this norma

Oct 27, 2010

Yes...very normal.  I would have deleted replaceable items before the backup/restore process to minimized the duration to complete.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 3 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1459 posts

Oct 27, 2010

I upgraded from a 320gb to a 500gb a few months back and it was a similar circumstance. I thought that it froze, but I let it run a few more hours and it finished without a problem and copied over all of my content...

one of the reasons it's taking so long is because you have a lot of content on there... just be patient...

Message 4 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
371 posts

Oct 27, 2010
I did a restore once and let it run and had to let it go overnight. Ended up that the restore failed at the end. Even over night it only made it to like 50%. I redid the restore and it was done in a few hours. I restord over 90 gigs. So I would say if it is taking that long you might want to restart it. Thats from experience.
Message 5 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Oct 28, 2010

Thanks for all the help, It shot up to 83% since my first post.  Since then its been about 5 hours at 83%!  Thats the longest stretch yet.  I'm just surprised that it took only about 7 hours to backup and went smooth and now restoring is taking...so far 28 hours and counting.  I realize its alot of data.  Just confused as to why "backup" would go so fast, approx. 7 hours and "restore" 28 hours and counting. 

If I was to cancel my transfer, would all the hard drive data that is saved on my external HDD be lost?  Also would I have to start from the beginning or would it resume?  I imagine the beginning but I just thought I'd ask. 
Thanks again for the help.

Message 6 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Dec 25, 2010

Hey im kinda in the same boat now going from 320gb to 500gb the back up went easy restore is taking forever and I have been at 84% for a very long time now did yours ever finish im just curious so I will know what steps I should follow.

Message 7 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Dec 25, 2010

TheWolfy wrote:

Hey im kinda in the same boat now going from 320gb to 500gb the back up went easy restore is taking forever and I have been at 84% for a very long time now did yours ever finish im just curious so I will know what steps I should follow.

I was just doing the transfer data 2 days ago. I had a 60GB model with 320GB with over 220GB of data and was transferring to a slim 160GB model with a hard drive of 500GB. It took 4-5 hours to reach 63% and stayed at 63% for the next hour and half, I thought it got stuck, so I canceled the operation and tried again, took the same amount of time as before and stuck at 63% again, didn't cancel this time, instead I came to this forum and start searching for a similar problem, then I found a thread where the guy was transferring 280GB of data, he reached the 93% mark with 60 HOURS in, after I read the 60 hours thing, I went and canceled the operation. From there I start deleting games, movies and game data, the only thing I left was the game saves which was the most important since I can download the other stuff again, but not this. After deleting, I still had like 30GB of data (not sure why that much), either way, that only took 12 minutes to transfer.

If you have many stuff to transfer, I recommend delete some if not most.

EDIT: My bad, just noticed that we were doing different transfers, I did the transfer from one PS3 to another, on your case is from an external HDD to a PS3, so there's no way to delete any of the stuff now.

Message 8 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Dec 26, 2010

Yea im doing HDD to internal but now im at 93% so I guess its still working. Im just bored I got ps3 games for christmas and my ps3 is temporarily gone to lunch. Ill keep playing monster hunter 3rd portable I guess.

Message 9 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 19, 2011

60 hours are just plain crazyyy.... at the moment, i am already in my 12 hours mark, backing up around 220gb of data. Dunno when this will be completed though.

EDIT : After waiting around 22 hours, finally it is completed!!!

Message 10 of 18 (5,536 Views)
0 Likes