Monster Hunter
45 posts

Re: HDD Upgrade PS3 Backup and Restore...Restore extremely slow....is this normal?

Oct 26, 2011

Going from a 160GB PS3 FAT with a new 500GB drive...

Decided to do a google search since its worrying me a bit that the PS3 is stuck.  It was stuck at 63% for about two hours now and JUST a few mins ago bumped to 64.  I should've have known that this would take forever seeing how the PS3 is either a love or hate machine.  Should have forseen this and deleted a bunch of my data that I don't need any more (mandatory installs) seeing how it takes around 12hrs for the damn thing to do a back up of 100GB worth of data...

/Sigh I wish they (THEY as in SONY) would improve on software issues like this.  One min the PS3 hates the internet and takes 30~1hr to DL a 35mb update; other times it just loves it and DLs a 220mb update in 2mins or less.  Sometimes it loves the game and installs 2GB in 10mins; other times it hates it takes damn well as it pleases.

Good thing I have a PC and a 360 to keep me company while it does this.

Message 11 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: HDD Upgrade PS3 Backup and Restore...Restore extremely slow....is this normal?

Dec 2, 2011

I'm in the same boat at the moment.. Upgrade from 80gb fat ps3 to a 320gb seagate hard drive.  Backed my data up to a seagate external hard drive, just like you everything went well.  Now restoring and stuck at 35% for about an hour, I tried this twice and stuck at the same spot.  So I shut everything off, rebooted, and fixed the hard drive file structure as it asked me to do on start up. All my files seem to be where they should be, so I'm gonna try it out! I'll write back if my ps3 acts up or I'm missing something..

Message 12 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 7, 2011

I have a 60GB model which was previously upgraded to a 320GB HDD, then to a 640GB HDD.  I just purchased a new 9.5mm height 1TB HDD that can fit without modification into the internal drive bay.  Backup of the 640GB to an external drive took about 9 hours, resulting in backup of about 340GB.

Restoration started out with a predicted time of about 12 hours.

After 10 hours, it reached 55%.

After an additional 10 hours, it reached 59%.

After an additional two days it reached 83%.

After an additional day, it was still at 83%, so I quit the restoration.

Since then, I have used the Western Digital Diagnostic Tool to confirm that the 1TB HDD is 100% in working order (not a single bad sector reported, on both read and a full "write zero" test of the HDD).  I purchased a different external HDD and re-backed up the 640GB HDD and tried the restoration again, but still the same problem.

Essentially, I've ruled out any hardware problem with the new drive or the backup drive, but it seems clear that it is impossible to restore a backup of my size, or that there may be partial incompatibility between the PS3 and the 1TB HDD.  The restoration appears to get progressivelyl slower.  While this has been reported in this string of emails, others are merely reporting the restoration percentage being stuck for a hour or so, not for a full day as I've experienced.  In all my searching, I've never heard of Sony ever commenting on this issue.  It shouldn't be a surprise to any programmers older than 40 y.o.  Japan's tech culture in regards to software has always been to write software from scratch, essentially reinventing the wheel every time, and generating the some set of low-level operating system bugs that probably never get fixed, or never get noticed until much later.

Message 13 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 8, 2011

I subsequently contact Sony customer support, and they informed me that there may be corrupted files on the previous HDD, which the backup procedure initally handles but is unable to restore to a new drive.  They asked me to put back in the previous HDD enter into PS3 Safe Mode, and to do option #3, a file system restoration, followed by option #4 (file database rebuild) if #3 didn't work.  They said to rebackup the previous HDD once the Safe Mode procedures were finished.

Well, I entered Safe Mode and started the restoration process.  It stated that the previous HDD was corrupted and that restoration would begin.  After about 1 minute, however, it stated that an error occurred during the restoration process and that the drive would have to be reformatted, i.e. I just lost my previously usable HDD because of the advice of Sony customer support.

Well, rather than redownload all of my PSN and in-game purchases, I'm just going to let the backup restore process run for 10 days to see if it eventually completes.  If not, I will be forced to redownload everything, but I will be sure that Sony allows me to redownload every cent of DLC I've ever purchased or there will be hell to pay (fortunately, I've never purchased any non-game downloads from PSN, which the license explicitly says can only be downloaded once...)

Message 14 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 8, 2011

I will add that it is very disconcerting that the backup process for the PS3 is can be used without a hitch while it backs up unrestorable corrupted files.  This back up process provides a false sense of security and doesn't detect and inform the user that an unrestorable problem exists on the HDD.

This is incredibly stupid design.

Message 15 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Hey guys, I was poking around the boards and looking for a similar answer because, well, I had my backup restore freeze on me, or so I thought. Have a PS3 Slim, originally 120GB drive in it, but switched it out for a 500GB one. What I found helps cut down on the transfer time is if you have a USB cable with a Y-split at the ends that go into the PS3. It helps cut the time down immensely, pretty much in half. As for the freeze times, like a few others have said give it time and it'll clear up. Mine froze at 46%, 79%, and once more at 93%. I believe it took little over an hour or so to clear up the last spot it froze. 46% & 79% was cleared up in 15-20 minutes.

Hope this helps out some.

Message 16 of 18 (1,414 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Oct 26, 2012
Call me a **bleep** but you people should quit complaining. I've had 3 ps3s die in 1yr. All died out of nowhere from the overheating because of cpu paste/fan issue. Well I now will keep a current backup file (lost to many saves) but your suppose to backup weekly or biweekly. No prob right? Wrong! It took 28 hours to do a 64gig backup. So to sum up quit complaining!
Message 17 of 18 (1,341 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 18, 2016

Backup process is really slow

Message 18 of 18 (131 Views)
0 Likes