Mar 14 2012
By: ragtag7 Hekseville Citizen 361 posts
Accepted Solution

External Hard Drive Question

20 replies 79235 views Edited Mar 14, 2012

Instead of opening my PS3 to swap out the HDD for a bigger one, I already have an External 500GB HDD.

My Question: Can I use an external Hard Drive to store the games I download from PSN/Sony Entertainment Network(ehh) and PLAY off it?

I really want to download a lot of games but don't have enough room anymore.

Message 1 of 21 (79,235 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: External Hard Drive Question

Mar 14, 2012

I'm beginning to think about an external harddrive as well at this point since my PS3 just YLOD (it's on its way to EE for repair as we speak), and I too have a lot of questions about it, not the least of which is just how to get it to work right.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 2 of 21 (79,235 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 14, 2012

ragtag7 wrote:

Instead of opening my PS3 to swap out the HDD for a bigger one, I already have an External 500GB HDD.

My Question: Can I use an external Hard Drive to store the games I download from PSN/Sony Entertainment Network(ehh) and PLAY off it?

I really want to download a lot of games but don't have enough room anymore.

In short, no. You can only use an external drive to do backups of non-DRM protected content.

Message 3 of 21 (79,235 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Mar 14, 2012

it would be nice to play off a external drive but it just isn't possible,just good for backing up,but you can access media like music,movies and pics from one but NO actual playstation content.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 4 of 21 (79,235 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
361 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Oh well...

I decided to purchase a 120GB SSD for my PS3 to give it a boost in some games.

Hopefully one day Sony decideds to make the external HDD happen.

Message 5 of 21 (79,235 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Well, I know that's dissappointing when you buy something thinking you can use it for something, but I highly encourage you to look on the bright side and note you have a very good backup device you can use now.

Seriously...a lot of people don't realize that if their PS3 ever dies, you cannot ever recover the data (saved games, movies you bought and downloaded, etc.) unless you fix the PS3. They learn this after when nothing can be done about it. It's because the content of the drive is encrypted.

Soooo, that means if you play hundreds of hours into games and want to keep your saved game files, you need to be backing them up on a regular basis. You now have an excellent device for this.

Message 6 of 21 (79,235 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
361 posts

Mar 14, 2012

I've been backing backing up my saves with this HDD for a long time now just to let you know..

Message 7 of 21 (79,235 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Oct 21, 2012

This is simply not true every game and movie you download can always be recovered even if your PS3 dies no matter what. I really wish people would know what there talking about before they type some BS they know nothing about, As long as you have your sign in name and password everything you have downloaded and paid for is still right there. The reason you can't use external hardrives to play games from on your PS3 is because then the games would be way to easy to steal from torrent sights. So don't fret anyone if your PS3 dies all your info is recoverable, just don't forget the sign in name (EMAIL) and password, And to let you know you can now jailbreak your PS3 to allow you to play and backup games off of an external hard drive, but it is not recommend, and illegal I think.

Message 8 of 21 (78,004 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 4, 2012

scotttt1970 ...unfortunately you are mis-informed in the case of  "every game and movie you download can always be recovered even if your PS3 dies no matter what".  As a PSN member the games you buy do indeed stay in your download list on the psn network. However due to Digital Rights Management agreements with the movie companies, you are allowed 1 single download of a movie or episode. And no, they do not show up in your psn download list after that which means if you delete a movie, it is gone. Likewise, (and you were correct about the intent on this part) due to hackers and torrent sites, Sony has thoroughly locked down game saves, and other items that one may hack/steal. Sony has ammended this in it's Playstation Plus section, where it backs up game saves to the cloud (where you can redownload a game save later should you choose), but only for PS Plus members.

And though jailbreaking your ps3 is not illegal, if you are caught you will loose access to the PSN (ie- no online games ever, at least not with that account)...sony will life ban you.

I say all of the above with absolute certainty after getting the YLOD and spending 4 hours on the phone with Sony.  (and loosing about 200 dollars worth of movies)...now I back up my data more.

Message 9 of 21 (76,853 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Mar 19, 2013
So how do you back up your data with an external HDD? I was too hoping to save games to my 500 GB, but oh well! Is it easy enough to replace your internal HD with a larger new one?
Message 10 of 21 (69,915 Views)