Dec 23 2013
By: IJustWantToHug First Son 3 posts

Dualshock 4 Joystick Bug

7 replies 1234 views Edited Dec 23, 2013

The R3 button on my Dualshock 4 controller is making games unplayable at the moment. My character will look down in game randomly and I am not doing anything to the stick. I have tried other games and turning the console off and on, but nothing is working. This only started recently and up until this point I have had no problems with the controller. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8 (1,234 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: Dualshock 4 Joystick Bug

Dec 23, 2013

Welcome to the Playstation Forums.

Did you try resetting the DS4 itself? There is a tiny hole on the back that you can press with a paperclip and reset it.

Of that does nothing, the next step is calling Sony.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 2 of 8 (1,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 23, 2013

*sigh* Sadly that doesn't work. I'll call Sony. Thank you very much though.

Message 3 of 8 (1,211 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 23, 2013

Good luck, I am sure they will take care of you.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 4 of 8 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 23, 2013

I have the same problem, the controller drifts the sight down on its own... I can't play looking at my feet!

Message 5 of 8 (1,202 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 23, 2013

Finally a person with the same situation. I literally couldn't find anything about it on the web. I feel you brother. ;___;

Message 6 of 8 (1,197 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Dec 27, 2013

I spoke to a customer rep, and she instructed me to send back the controller, but I missed the post office drop time, so  I tried to play a little and came out with the following observations:

1. The fault is intermittent, when I start playing the first two games are OK then starts acting up.

2. The controller seems not to be the problem, because when the sight drifts down I can move it back up with the joystick.
3.  I think the problem is with the console as it warms up, it over heats blowing hot air and that condition appears at the time the drifts starts.

4. The presented quicker whenever I was using the riffle sight, probably pushing the graphics card hard, creating more heat.

5. I put a fan to blow on the console, it improved just a little but equally hot air kept coming out which tells me that the air vents are not that great, other wise I would have been able to drop the temperature to a nice cool level.

6. The same bug with BF4 and COD, so it is not the game.

Conclusion:

From point 2, it seems that the fault originates in the ic in the console that interfaces with the controller, it seems that as temperature goes up it develops a short, so when I push up the joystick it goes up but it comes back down again, as it was a counter signal to the one from the joystick. Therefore I believe the fault originates in the console. I will contact CS to send the whole thing not just the controller.

Message 7 of 8 (1,173 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 4, 2014
Is there anything else that can be done to fix this or is it recommended to send the system in for service?
Message 8 of 8 (833 Views)
0 Likes