Nov 29 2013
By: mukti7 First Son 6 posts
Accepted Solution

Cannot connect to internet using wifi (Errors NW-31175-7 and NW-31297-2)

[ Edited ]
25 replies 98518 views Edited Nov 30, 2013

I am unable to connect my PS4 to the internet using a wi-fi connection. When I got my PS4, I connected it with a wire because I was having too many issues with the wireless connection. Now I need to use my ethernet cable for something else, and would like to get my connection set up using the built-in wireless so that I don't have to continue swapping the cable.

All other devices can successfully connect to the wireless network from anywhere in my house. My PS4 is not very far from the router, and it shows a strong signal, so it is not a signal strength issue. The router and AP are up-to-date with the latest software, so that rules out most issues with my existing network hardware. I've made sure the password was entered correctly, and made sure there were no issues with my existing network connection.

ERRORS

NW-31175-7 Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit
NW-31297-2 The WPA password may be incorrect
CE-33991-5 Cannot connect to the Internet

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS I'VE TAKEN

• Restarted PS4
  • Restarted router
  • Restarted wireless AP
  • Manually set up connection
  • Reset PS4 (option 4 in safe mode)

Has anyone else had this issue? I've done some reasearch, but there haven't been any legitimate solutions (most people eventually get a connection after trying enough). I've been at it for about 2 hours now, and haven't had any luck. Does anyone know any solutions? I was going to try a few of the options in safe mode, but I didn't want to accidentally wipe the data from my hard drive, or mess anything else up so I've been hesitant.

Also, I'm new to the whole Playstation/Sony ecosystem, so you might have to dumb down some of the explanations Smiley Wink

Update:
Today I tried manually setting the network settings again, and now I'm getting the CE-33991-5 error.

Message 1 of 26 (98,518 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Cannot connect to internet using wifi (Errors NW-31175-7 and NW-31297-2)

Dec 31, 2013
I had the same problem but I just use WiFi I came home one day and I couldn't connect to the internet then when I tried to re- enter my password the ps4 said I had put in the wrong password and I took all the steps you've taken except when I restored my ps4 to default settings then restarted the router put in my password again and then boom fixed I almost went up in tears when it finally worked because I couldn't play for weeks
Message 2 of 26 (97,724 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 4, 2014

It's a system update, go to settings> PlaystationNetwork> Sign In> Then Press Update. Hope this helped

Message 3 of 26 (97,148 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 15, 2014

It is not a system update. I am on the most recent update (1.60), and I still have the same issues

Message 4 of 26 (96,909 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 16, 2014

I've fixed the issue, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of this to begin with. I used a tool to analyze the wireless channel usage in my house, and it looks like everyone in my neighborhood is on 11 (the channel my AP was currently on). I changed it to channel 1, and now I can connect without issue.

If you're having a similar issue, try downloading an Android/iOS app or a (program on your computer) to look at wireless channel usage in your area. If you're in the US, you'll likely want to choose channel 1, 6, or 11 since they don't overlap with eachother, and are the most commonly used channels. Look at which ones have the most devices on them, and their corresponding signal strength. The one with the lowest signal strength/device count is the best channel to use. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, try logging into your router/AP and changing the channel that it broadcasts on (it should be listed in the settings somewhere). Try different channels until you find one that works. Hope this helps anyone else who runs into this issue.

Message 5 of 26 (96,870 Views)
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 16, 2014

What is Sony planning to do about this problem that this update caused?  I don't even use the wifi and PSN is giving me a horrible conneciton while my pc, xbox one isn't having a single issue.  Can't seem to get an answer anyway and I'm ready to just give up at this point.

Message 6 of 26 (96,862 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jun 24, 2014

I had this error when trying to access parties.  Also most onine gaming function was not usable.  I thried all of the above and also port forwarding to my PS4.  No go.  Tried adding to DMZ on my router settings - still nothing.  I contacted my ISP they sent out a technician who quickly fixed.  He just changed the type of router security (i.e. WEP, WPA, ...)  from the strictest to the next down and everything works now.  No longer in DMZ and still good.  If you are not sure how to do this on your router, contact the router mfr or your ISP (if it is their router.)

Message 7 of 26 (92,508 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 24, 2014
I was actually able to fix this error a few months ago.

NW-31175-7 Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit

After trying to deal with this for some time, I realized what the issue was. Basically, there is too much 'noise' on the wireless channel I was using. To fix this you must change the settings of your wireless router/AP so that it broadcasts on another channel (more info about wireless channels can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels). You can see my post about it here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Cannot-connect-to-internet-using-wifi-E...
Message 8 of 26 (92,501 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 12, 2014

I finally figured it out aswell. A couple of Joe's in here are right. It's a router issue - nothing else. And it's the channel issue.

I had "automatic" i channels on my WiFi spot. Suddenly got this error message and went through loads of Google hits trying to figure it out. Thought I might try the channel tweak as mentioned earlier in this thread. Changed from "automatic" to channel 5 and BOOM I was connected to my WiFi spot again. 

For the error message NW-31297-2 it's definitely a channel issue. Trust me.

Message 9 of 26 (83,809 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 11, 2014
I had the same issue and changed my channel to 6 as it was on automatic and then everything worked perfect. Now I am getting the same issue again after the 20.2 update today (11/11/14). I'm connected to psn but when I did a connection test it says my signal is too weak. My router is pretty much next to my ps4 so it's not weak and even says 100%. So I reset, turned the ps back on and went to set up Internet connection and it couldn't find my virginmedia so reset again, then found it, reconnected (even though I was connected cos I was online) and still getting the error code nw-3115-7. My laptop and phone were connected earlier with no issues. This is very frustrating when you pay for psn and you can't even use it!
Message 10 of 26 (80,868 Views)