Apr 21 2017
By: ncoleamy First Son 1 posts
Accepted Solution

Can I use one external hard drive for both my PS3 and PS4 combined?

2 replies 89 views Edited 6 days ago

Hello, 

Even thought I have a PS4 now, I've not gotten rid of my PS3. It's in great shape and I still love the games that are not availabe on PS4, so with that said... Both consoles now have the capacity to use external drives for storage. Can I use the same external drive for both units? 

Best Regards, Nicole

Message 1 of 3 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6449 posts

Re: Can I use one external hard drive for both my PS3 and PS4 combined?

[ Edited ]
6 days ago

@ncoleamy The PS4 external hard drive firmware update can only store games, not game saves. The firmware update is only available for the PS4.

Any external hard drive formatted to FAT32 and plugged into a PS3 will behave just like any USB flash drive. You can store save game files, but not whole games like with the PS4 firmware update. Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 2 of 3 (79 Views)
MVP Support
1042 posts

Re: Can I use one external hard drive for both my PS3 and PS4 combined?

[ Edited ]
5 days ago

As of System Software 4.55, each USB storage can only be PS4 games only, or FAT32/exFAT. Not both.

To erase and format as exFAT or extended storage:

PS4 Settings, Devices, USB storage, (your USB), press option if needed.

On PS4 it can be one or the other:

1. extended storage. PS4 games only. Not usable on PS3 or computer, until format/erase.

2. exFAT or FAT32, for backups, copy saved data, media player, music player, capture gallery export, but not PS4 games. This was the only USB storage option on System Software 4.07 and before.

PS3 only support FAT32, for saved data, backups, music, pictures, videos.

The same USB (FAT32) storage can be used for both PS3, PS4, and computer.

FAT32 does have limits, maximum of 4 GiB (4294967295 bytes) per file.

Other file system like exFAT can have much bigger file size.

Message 3 of 3 (38 Views)