Mar 27 2014
By: Falikan First Son 3 posts

Buying Digital Games After Already Downloaded From Disc

9 replies 7215 views Edited Mar 27, 2014

Hi all!

So here's my situation. I once borrowed a copy of Battlefield 4 for my PS4 and now it's downloaded in. I've since returned the disc, and now I'd like to buy it digitally.

My question is, if I buy Battlefield 4 digitally, will I have to redownload the game to be able to play it, or will it just unlock my PS4 so I can play right off the bat?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10 (7,215 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
4447 posts

Re: Buying Digital Games After Already Downloaded From Disc

Mar 27, 2014

Hey there. In this situation you would need to download the game fully again. This is because the data that was installed wasn't the complete game, rather it was important parts of the game on the disc to eliminate load times. Your save data however should carry over no matter which version you are playing. Hope this helps! 

J_W

Message 2 of 10 (7,197 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Mar 27, 2014
Hey there!

That's quite a bummer to hear. Oh well, I guess it'd be better if I just get a physical copy of the game.

Thanks a lot for the reply!
Message 3 of 10 (7,194 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 30, 2014

i actually have a problem on this. you see, i already downloaded the game thief after renting it, but now it says i need the disc. is there any way to fix that?

Message 4 of 10 (7,176 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 30, 2014

Did you not read? It was an INSTALL, renting a game, installing, then returning it doesnt let you keep a copy. Are you smart?

Message 5 of 10 (7,166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 31, 2014

okay, let me clarify after renting it, ( as in i already returned it) i got the digital half off of version with a dlc, but since i already used a disc, it wouldn't download and still says i need a disc. so i got a version that doesn't need the disc, but is still saying i need it

Message 6 of 10 (7,152 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Oh dear, I think you misunderstand how this system works. As far as I know, you still require the disc after you got the digital upgrade. They do this to prevent people from taking advantage of the system. Let's say you upgraded a Battlefield 4 PS3 disc on your PS4, you still need that PS3 disc to run the game (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Check out this site: http://us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/

As you can see, it clearly says "**PS3™ game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4™ system."

I don't know mate. If I'm correct, the only way to play your upgraded game is to own a PS3 version of the game itself.

Message 7 of 10 (7,150 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8425 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Digital Versions are not the same as BD versions...

You Must delete the BD version data off your Console before you download the DIGITAL version to install... the license will not upgrade the BD version data on the console... So you need to DELETE the BD version... 

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester

From SIE blog firmware 4.50 post "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." 

Message 8 of 10 (7,145 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11865 posts

Mar 31, 2014

I think the confusion is where the license key is located.  With most PS4 disc games, the entire game is installed on the HDD, but the license key remains in the disc (so it requires the disc to play what's on the HDD).  With the digital version, the license key is included in the download, since Sony has a direct record of your account purchasing a license to play that game.

If you rent a game via disc, install it and play it for a bit and return the disc, the software will no longer work.  You need to DELETE the game data that installed off the disc and download the digital version that you purchase from the PSN Store.  The Save Data from the disc version SHOULD work with the digital version of the game.

Message 9 of 10 (7,141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 31, 2014

right, delete it. thanks for the help guys

Message 10 of 10 (7,134 Views)
0 Likes