I just purchased a new (from Amazon) PS4 Slim Uncharted 4 Console Bundle. The controller is not pairing on the initial "Connect the Dualshock 4 wireless controller" screen even while plugged in and hitting the PS button. Oddly, the controller DOES pair when booted into safe mode.
I have tried the following to try to solve the problem:
1) Resetting the controller (paperclip under L2 trigger)
2) Resetting the controller (above + holding share button)
3) Restoring to factory default settings through safe mode
4) Updating the system software through safe mode
5) Reinstalling the system software through safe mode
6) Turning off my router's wifi radio and trying to pair
7) Using different Micro-USB cables
8) Using both USB ports
Solved! Go to Solution.
There is nothing odd about that. In safe mode the controller works as a wired controller. In normal mode, the controller always connects wirelessly, even if it is connected to the console with a USB cable. If one controller does not pair, then it could be a defect in the controller. If more than one controller does not pair, then it is a defect in the console. If a brand new console is not working, then return it to Amazon and get a replacement. If you can't do that, then you need to send the console in for warranty repair service.