Monster Hunter
34 posts

Re: Blu-Ray and DVD playback does not work.

Nov 18, 2013

Originally I was having issues with both the blu ray player and changing input (TV/HDMI 1/HDMI 2 etc). Then I switched the HDMI port on my TV to one and the input issue was resolved.
BUT, I still cannot play a blu ray movie. My games are all digital, so I do not know if the disc based games will work or not. Judging by the comments here, I don't think that should be an issue.... but I would really like to be able to watch movies on my PS4. What gives? Is there a solution to this yet, Sony? Could you please give us some feedback on this issue.
Thanks.

Message 21 of 41 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Tried the cycling inputs: Nope.
Tried turning the TV off/on: Nope.
Tried the X button (zillions of times): Nope.

I really hope they fix this soon.

Message 22 of 41 (668 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Okay. So ive tried switching inputs and that didn't work. I did notice one thing though. I wasnt trying to play a movie or a game I was just on the home screen. I switched inputs to TV then I switched back to my ps4 input and the screen was just black. It never came back. I tried chnging HDMI ports I tried three different HDMI cables. I ended up restarting the system and then it worked. It seems that when ever there is an interuption with the signal from the ps4 to the tv it never reconnects. A guy in another form said changing TVs for a mintue to get through the bluray set up worked. Unfortionatly I only have one TV so I can not test this.

Message 23 of 41 (656 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013
Yea I didn't know switching TVs could fix the problem so I just tried it and yup it does. I can now watch movies on my Ps4!Smiley Happy Both DVD and Blue-Ray
Message 24 of 41 (643 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Message 25 of 41 (642 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Nov 18, 2013

On both TVs? Of just on the second one you tested?

Message 26 of 41 (630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 18, 2013
checked mail, no bluray boot up disc from sony. i will definatly let yous know the outcome when it arrives!
Message 27 of 41 (621 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

Does anyone have a TV I can borrow....lol....*sigh*

Im going to try to call sony again today maybe try to get that Bluray boot up disc that hypnotoad mentioned or see if they have another solution.

Message 28 of 41 (615 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Just got off the phone with sony. They had me change the video output in the settings to my native resolution of 1080p and then I put in a bluray disc and it worked. But when i stopped the disc to go back to the home screen I got a black screen. They are sending me a box and told me I should have it back in 7 days. When I got off the phone i thought well i can at least watch movies now just have to restart my system when its over. No such luck. Apparently the bluray coming on was a fluke. Its not working again at all. So ya a box is apparently my solution. 

Message 29 of 41 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Nov 19, 2013

Okay.... I have all the bugs worked out now. PS4 is fully functional.
HDMI port change resolved the 'blank screen' when changiing channels, inputs, or turning the TV on/off. Most TV's have a designated gaming port(s). It may tell you in the manual, if you have it or can find it online - but it is usually the first or last in the series (ie HDMI 1 or HDMI 5 on a five port TV). On my living room set it is HDMI 1, in my bedroom it is HDMI 4.

Blu Ray issue was resolved by attching my PS4 to my bedroom set. The problem, it seems, was that my PS4 and living room set were being uncooperative on the BR setup screen. Once I hooked it up in the bedroom and allowed it to complete the setup by inserting a BR disc it was fixed. It now plays discs on BOTH TV sets.
If you do not have a second HDTV, I would recommend taking it to a friend's house or to the store you bought the system at. The guys at my local Walmart have been letting people do this since yesterday. Bring it in, hook it up, pop in a disc and you're set.
A pain in the neck, for sure... but better than waiting for an update or returning your machine only to find the issue was your TV all along.

Good luck folks!

Message 30 of 41 (584 Views)
0 Likes