Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3094 posts

Re: *Sigh* What happened?

Mar 31, 2010

Am I the only one who thinks the maps in MW2 are actually pretty well designed.

They are pretty varied and there is something for every game style.

Having extra doorways and entrances is a GOOD thing and stops people being able to completely hole up in buildings with claymores and no way to get at them, as is enabling teams ways out of spawn traps.

The spawning is indeed horrible but there is always tactical insertion, it's not JUST for boosters you know?

This game has plenty of faults indeed but I think map design is one of the stronger points.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1312 posts

Mar 31, 2010

x-shaney-x wrote:

Having extra doorways and entrances is a GOOD thing and stops people being able to completely hole up in buildings with claymores and no way to get at them, as is enabling teams ways out of spawn traps.

The spawning is indeed horrible but there is always tactical insertion, it's not JUST for boosters you know?

This game has plenty of faults indeed but I think map design is one of the stronger points.

I agree with shaney. I like the levels, you have to keep on your toes and work with your team to lock an area down and even then, you have to move to beat back enemy attacks. I can't wait to see what IW came up with for the DLC

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2486 posts

Mar 31, 2010

x-shaney-x wrote:

some maps suck cuz when they call an ac-130 or pave low you just respawn to die they killed the game with killstreaks

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1920 posts

Mar 31, 2010

Coleman11b wrote:

Yes, this is probably overposted and no one cares. But seriously, what the heck did IW do to their beautiful COD series? A little background first I suppose. I was an extremely competitive COD4 player. First on the xbox where I battled my way well into the top 1000 players in kills/score. My XBLA name was frag4free. I did very well and had the opportunity to travel to both Chicago and LA for some tournaments. I could however because I was on medical leave from the police department and layed up in my house at the time. This was in the first two months of release for COD4.

Fast forward about a year. My xbox conked out long ago with a broken "eye". I picked up COD4 on a whim for the PC and realized that all the beauty of the console game was multiplied a hundred times over for the PC. I now had access to dedicated servers(READ...no host advantage) as well as a lean function. My game went to the next level with these two things. I got in on  the ground floor of a clan called Unit1i. And we proceeded to destroy every other clan worth anything on that patch. Well, computer broke. And I went through pre-mob with my guard unit so I stopped playing pretty much.

Then it happens. The first trailer for MW2 comes out. I AM STOKED! But the release nears and there is no dedicated server support. There is no lean function for the PC. So I decided not to get it on release. I did not play it until this week when my brother comes back from Iraq with the game. Well he goes on a much deserved holiday and I pop that bad boy into my own PS3. MW2 is an abortion. It is a diseased, filthy, wholly worthless carcass compared to it's predecessor. What happened to my beloved COD? Dual wielding? Really? Kill streaks that help lucky noobs go from bads to heroes? No I admit, as shooters go COD has always been accessible to bad players. You cannot play the game without at least accidently getting a kill. But this new one takes the cake. Get 4 or 5 kills? Here's a care package...OH LUCKY YOU!!! You get a gunship to rain death from above. Suddenly baddie who probably got kills camping/lucky nading...is ending the map looking awesome.

Anyway, let's move on. Map design. Now I know that map design has never been particularly strong for IW. Let's just look at Bloc from COD4. LOL....two big buildings and no reason to go anywhere else. Everyone grab a sniper and run to a building. Fifteen minutes of occassional shots followed by silence and we have a winner. It was terrible. Granted, I was a silenced MP5 man so I didn't like it all the more. Fast forward to new MW2. How many windows...multiple entrances...and wide open spaces can you possibly fit in one map? "NOOB, it's urban warfare and uber realistic that way". I agree wholeheartedly with you...but what happens when you take this map design and couple it with the hands down worst spawn system of any game ever? I rest my case there. Want to set up a choke point for the other team? HA! good luck. There is always a window, door, or lucky spawn to ruin your fun.

In closing, and I know that no one cares. Don't we already have Halo? Why did we have to recreate it with new skins and more weapons? Whatever, my rant is done. I may or may not check this post but I just had to post my feelings to soothe my broken heart. I will miss thee COD.

excellent post, it was a good read.

soccermom_62
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 31, 2010

Well I wasn't going to re-post, but everyone was generally so civil that I must. I guess the uber aggressive leet MWF2 players suffering from teen angst are all too busy playing to post/read here. Anyway, I agree that the maps are, on the whole, well made. However, only in absence of the terrible spawn system. They are great maps that require awareness and intense concentration to be a "good" SMG run and gunner. But, the spawn system is what breaks the maps. And they are a package deal.

I have discovered Bad Company 2 because of my sadness and wandering after MW2 and I am enjoying myself there. Not as polished, but very very good in it's own right. Makes me feel like maybe DICE is finally taking the series back toward the Battlefield 2 on PC days. My only hope is that it was Activision that steered this title wrong and not the guys at IW. Hopefully some of the fired guys will start back up and give us a great shooter in the coming years.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Mar 31, 2010

@Thuglife

Are you retarded? Those bunch of scrubs that got fired were geniuses I mean they only created the best selling FPS of all time (only because Halo is a 360 exclusive though), so uhm yeah! good luck getting anything close to as good as CoD on the PS3 lol...thank God for the 360 & Halo...at least Halo has some level of skill left @ MLG.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2486 posts

Apr 1, 2010

iSnapShot wrote:

@Thuglife

Are you retarded? Those bunch of scrubs that got fired were geniuses I mean they only created the best selling FPS of all time (only because Halo is a 360 exclusive though), so uhm yeah! good luck getting anything close to as good as CoD on the PS3 lol...thank God for the 360 & Halo...at least Halo has some level of skill left @ MLG.

Cod6 is on the ps3 too ? didnt u know? and the only reason this game sold so much was cuz of COD 4 i bet if IW makes cod8 it will not sell this many

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Alright, time for the ginger kid's opinion.

I have to agree that spawning in mw2 is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game, and I've played a lot of shooters online. Also I agree that the fact that there aren't any dedicated servers reeeeeally annoys me. I have some of the worst internet connection in my house. If someone else is on the internet when I play cod, I lag, ALOT. But seriously, an abortion? A diseased, filthy, wholly worthless carcass? That's a bit harsh don't you think? Besides, IW wanted to bring out an improvement on MW, so that's what it is. I like the killstreaks, if you don't like the gunships just use cold-blooded or a stinger. If you're not good enough to get the killstreaks (judging by your place in COD4 I'd say you are good enough) then use easier killstreaks. I just think it was good that they added more variety to the game.

I win at life...
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (2 Views)
0 Likes