Jul 16 2009
By: dreadnaught_ I Only Post Everything 1075 posts

ATTN: LEGIT HC PLAYERS: Why have friendly fire AT ALL?

13 replies 10 views Edited Jul 16, 2009

I've never played hardcore mode.  I'd like to, but I just absolutely refuse to contend with team-killers. 

When I got COD3 right after the PS3 came out, I only hosted and joined games with "friendly fire" enabled.  I wanted the realism, and I wanted to practice the muzzle discipline and take care to shoot the enemy -- not my teammates.  After a couple weeks of that and dealing with ruined game experiences -- from teammates shooting you in the back (the old medic shotgun / revive / repeat trick) to (if I was lucky to have a legit team) the opposition wiped out by the counterproductive efforts of team-killers and others playing not in the spirit of the game -- I decided that I would never again play with "friendly fire" on. 

Team-killing now is as big a problem as it ever has been, especially in COD4.  Not a week passes without some infantile deviant makes a post like this camping + RPG + teamkilling = me    I am always shocked by how many people support this kind of behavior and engage in it from time to time -- often in separate accounts.  There is something fundamentally WRONG with playing a game solely to break the rules and spoil other people's experiences. 

So, why doesn't IW/Treyarch/whoever make a gamemode like Hardcore but with "friendly-fire" off?  Or better yet, disable "friendly-fire" in Hardcore completely? 

Do the benefits (increased realism / challenge) outweight the drawbacks (griefing, antisocial behavior, etc.)?  What do "Hardcore" players think? 

I don't play Hardcore at all, so I'm neutral.  But even if I did, I would sacrifice the realism, difficulty, and challenge to know that a method of enjoyment from the twisted little perverts that enjoy ruining people's experience have lost a chance to get their rocks off. 

What does everybody think? 

Message Edited by dreadnaught_ on 07-16-2009 09:19 AM
Message 4 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
634 posts

Re: Why have friendly fire AT ALL?

Jul 16, 2009
I think they kind of solved it with W@W because on your third strike, you're out. (Not saying that i know by personal experience or anything)
PSN: blondepride
I'm going to marry Jason Mraz.

Myspace.com/mariahoo

Message 1 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1018 posts

Jul 16, 2009
because they try to make hardcore as releastic as possible..and in real life if i shoot my teamate, they die.
Message 2 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1075 posts

Jul 16, 2009

Ryder_25 wrote:
because they try to make hardcore as releastic as possible..and in real life if i shoot my teamate, they die.

Dude, read my post.  Already said that.  Kudos (-1) to you for being an idiot. 

The question is whether the increased realism is worth the grief for legitimate Hardcore players. 

In other words, would the legitimate Hardcore players be OK with sacrificing this aspect to "get back" at the people who make a hobby of tormenting them -- i.e., capturing it on video and putting it on YouTube. 

Message 3 of 14 (10 Views)
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

Re: ATTN: LEGIT HC PLAYERS: Why have friendly fire AT ALL?

Jul 16, 2009

I like hardcore because it almost eliminates the juggernaut/stopping power nonsense and I don't need to waste a perk slot on countering what the enemy is using.  Plus the kills boil down more to who saw/shot who first rather than what perk trumps the other.

As for the intentional TK'ers, I haven't seen that many luckily, just a pair of d-bags yesterday but we were getting destroyed anyways so luckily the enemy got them before my team got me.  Most of the tk'ers I see are noobs that can't figure out they're in an HC game, then usually leave after their first "time out".

Message 5 of 14 (10 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1075 posts

Jul 16, 2009

OedipusWrecks wrote:

I like hardcore because it almost eliminates the juggernaut/stopping power nonsense and I don't need to waste a perk slot on countering what the enemy is using.  Plus the kills boil down more to who saw/shot who first rather than what perk trumps the other.

As for the intentional TK'ers, I haven't seen that many luckily, just a pair of d-bags yesterday but we were getting destroyed anyways so luckily the enemy got them before my team got me.  Most of the tk'ers I see are noobs that can't figure out they're in an HC game, then usually leave after their first "time out".

Thanks for your thoughtful post. 

It seems to me your enjoyment of HC mode stems from the realism of taking less shots to kill and the different style of gameplay vs.  the availability of "friendly fire." 

If I'm reading you correctly, I think you'd enjoy HC the same -- or even more if they did away with "friendly fire" and thus Team-Killers. 

I bet there's a lot more people that feel as you do than don't. 

Message 6 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1117 posts

Jul 16, 2009

Well I always play with a party of 6 people and the teamkilling never happens between us. I think the possiblity of teamkilling is not a big problem to me. The reason I play is because in regular modes, only certain guns can be super effective. In HC, any gun can be effective enough to get you to the top. Core modes are BS when it comes to the amount of bullets it takes to kill a person.

To answer the question of taking FF off during HC modes, I don't believe they should. It brings an element of realism to an unrealistic game. It also makes you a little more careful instead of just being Rambo and firing around corners and stuff like that. Like I said earlier, I always play with 6 people in HcSnD, so I am not impacted as much as others. 

Message Edited by wonka08 on 07-16-2009 10:12 AM

Photobucket
Message 7 of 14 (10 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1075 posts

Jul 16, 2009

wonka08 wrote:
Well I always play with a party of 6 people and the teamkilling never happens between us. I think the possiblity of teamkilling is not a big problem to me. The reason I play is because in regular modes, only certain guns can be super effective. In HC, any gun can be effective enough to get you to the top. Core modes are BS when it comes to the amount of bullets it takes to kill a person.

Even though you don't worry much about team-killing because you play with a regular party, it is interesting that your enjoyment, like the other fellow, comes from the different style of gameplay and increased tactical effectiveness of even the most marginalized guns in ordinary modes. 

So far, not one person has said that the "availability" of friendly fire improves their experience in HC.  Interesting. 

I'm curious to hear more opinions. 

Message 8 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

Jul 16, 2009

The one thing I like about friendly fire is that it hopefully brings out more skill and tact in some players.  I just don't go heaving grenades with reckless abandon, because I wonder if my teammates will die, and I'll get the timeout.  Same as running into a room with the spray and pray mentality.  I hope other people play with that same ideal in hardcore games, but I know that not everyone will/does but I think it creates a better game when there are penalties for your actions to a degree.

Of course I do wish I could go to the TK'rs house and smash their playstation while they watch, then make out with their mom if she's hot.  Just for payback and clearly not earning the right to play a PS3 online.

Message 9 of 14 (10 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1575 posts

Jul 16, 2009
why have hardcore at all, all people do is hide bhind cover and wait for someone to run by
Message 10 of 14 (10 Views)
0 Likes