Highlighted
Nov 10 2012
By: TRONGINATOR First Son 4 posts

Learning to fly helicopters

7 replies 289 views Edited Nov 10, 2012
I really want to learn how to fly the helicopters well in BF3, and the only game I can play that gives me the option to fly is Coop Fire From The Sky. The bad thing is that I'm only the pilot half the time, and most of the time the other play quits the game because my flying sucks so bad. Is there any other way I can learn how to fly without frustrating other online players?

Would someone be wiling to endure my flying and play Coop Fire From The Sky with me?
Message 1 of 8 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Re: Learning to fly helicopters

Nov 10, 2012
You have a few options...

Find an empty server. (There are PLENTY of these)

Or spend $1.50 and rent your own server (24 hours) and lock it so only you can join.

Let me know if you need some help flying. All I do is fly helicopters pretty much.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 2 of 8 (282 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2356 posts

Nov 10, 2012
Just find an empty server and try flying away and trying to destroy a building or vehicle with as little passes as possible. You will quickly learn the way rockets operate.

After that, head to an area with a fixed threat for your chopper like a tower or various lamp posts. Then try to destroy a building or vehicle while avoiding those obstacles. You will then be able to strafe an enemy in a tight environment.

I would try and just practice lowering and climbing altitude while moving forward or sideways. As this is essential for avoiding stingers when running with ECM jammer. (ECM Smoke deploys from under the chopper and if you lower altitude it will protect you from locks.)

Finally, if you feel confident enough and know your basics in chopper handling, you can go ingame and practice. Practice makes perfect and it's the only true way to learn.

My tips when flying a chopper:
-Fly low and fast.
-Use as much cover as possible. (Hills, buildings)
-Pick and choose one target at a time and let your gunner take care of any other threats.
-Avoid encounters with jets.
-Prioritize enemy choppers, AA, then tanks.
mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Message 3 of 8 (279 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the tip guys. I've been flying in empty servers on the Operation Firestorm map, is there another map (non DLC) that has helicopters I could practice with?
Message 4 of 8 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Nov 11, 2012

TRONGINATOR wrote:
Thanks for the tip guys. I've been flying in empty servers on the Operation Firestorm map, is there another map (non DLC) that has helicopters I could practice with?

Caspian, Canals, and Kharg are the main ones.

Gulf of Oman is a good air map as well. (B2K Maps)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8 (271 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Jan 21, 2013

We are a new startup called Detrimental Habits. http://bf3clan.forumotion.com all skill levels are welcome. one of the founders will have to have playtime with you before you are a full member. It's pretty easy though, as long as you aren't a **bleep** you are basically in. we just look for good fun guys so that you always have some cool people to get a squad going. We try to specialize in unique ways of getting things done. we have some good pilots and vehivle operators. we run a private servoer on occasion to do chopper flight triaing and practice working as groups in tanks and stuff. we are also building a database of all the guns and vehicles. Not just the stats like others but of actual first hand accounts and time using the weapon. that way you can get a sense of the behavior of a gun and recommended loadouts. feel free to look us up and join.

Message 6 of 8 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 21, 2013

Change your set up for flying ,until u get it to suit your style of play,  Go to "options".Mine is set to heli buttons(lefty),and sticks to(southpaw) and Aircraft buttons to (lefty) and sticks to (southpaw) ps Im using a x  box controller with  xcm adapter.i find the offset sticks a lot better to use. hope this info is helpfull.!

Message 7 of 8 (164 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 21, 2013
Will look up on your forum ,looks interesting
Message 8 of 8 (163 Views)
0 Likes