Jan 14 2013
By: JgWink First Son 1 posts

AC 3 disappointing =/

[ Edited ]
24 replies 3109 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

*WARNING* THERE BE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! ((This post is mainly for people who have already played through the entire campaign.))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start off I don't hate AC3, I enjoyed my time playing it for the most part. However, I think Ubisoft missed a golden opportunity to make this game truly worthy of the hype it's received. My grievances are as follows...

1. Is Connor supposed to be a Colonial Anakin Skywalker?

Honestly, I looked up the voice actor to make sure it wasn't Hayden Christensen. Not only does his voice sound remarkably like Anakin, but the characters storyline is remarkably similar. Think about it; Anakin loses his mother fairly young, is angry because of this and also very impatient. This, of course, gets him into many a precarious situation as he goes along killing (assassinating) Sith.

Connor, loses his mother at a young age, is angry, impatient, often fights with his mentor Achilles (black Obi Wan Kenobi / Yoda).... You can see where I'm going with this.

2. Connor was too whiney and basically had 1 dimension when it came to emotion (ANGER)

Look, I get it, he had to watch his mother die, I'd be angry too! Hell, for most of the game I was even pulling for him, If not for the fact that he never learns to let go of his anger or even channel it properly. He just sulks around cursing Charles Lee and arguing with Achilles (He doesn't even reconcile with him when he's on his death bed!) . Meanwhile he ends up in bad situations due to being overly hot headed, and never really develops a clean professional killing style more along the lines of Altair and especially Ezio. And not to sound insensitive, but the whole, "I gotta save my village!! And how terrible everyone is to the Natives, gets extremely whiney an preachy by the end of the game.

3. There is very little room to upgrade or do anything beside the main story

One of my favorite things about AC Brotherhood, was being able to upgrade your gear. Having money meant something and help you progress. Going on side missions for Leonardo Da Vinci gained you cool gadgets that also help you throughout the game. The Sons of Romulus "dungeon crawls", also were satisfyingly challenging and gave you even more insentive to progress through the story so you could get to the next piece of the puzzle. In the end you're rewarded handsomely with the Brutus armor, which not only made you look badass, but also made taking on hordes of baddies a walk in the park.

AC3 is all but void of such challenges and even liberating sections of Colonial America gain you the lackluster reward of adding another Assassin to your crew (especially if you consider how long it actually takes). The homestead crafting system is never properly explained and it makes for a frustrating experience as you try to troubleshoot it. I never really felt like money was that much of a boon, and getting rid of potions in favor for a passive health regen system makes having cash even more trivial.

4. Both storylines (Connor & Desmond) ended extremely anti-climactically for me

Did anybody else find it almost laughable that when it came time to kill the final "bad guy" Connor did so by having a drink with him and then stabbing the guy in the chest? Really!? Your gonna take a drink and then just stab the dude? You don't even have a decent brawl with him like you did with Haythem. All the fighting happens through cutscenes and ends up with the player feeling extremely unrewarded for their efforts.

As for Desmond you never really get THAT into the story, because they pretty much gloss over a lot of the details. The ease in which you completely wipe the floor with everyone from Abstergo is pretty obsured as well, and almost laughable in it's simplicity. When everything was said and done his death wasn't even that great. There are no heartfelt revelations or good-byes from the people who have been at his side for the past 5 games. What you're left with is a bad Old Yeller, "go on! Get out of here!" moment and that's it....

I was honestly half expecting there to be something after Charles Lee and Desmond die, I was sadly mistaken as Juno says some  lackadaisical line and the credits roll (for 15 minutes no less!).

Overall I think AC3 had a great premise. The setting was great, the gameplay is decent and everything looks good in the game. The really sad part is that Ubisoft missed a lot of great story arcs and glossed over way too many details to give the main story any true replay value. I wanted AC3 to be the game everybody said it was, I really did, unfortunately for me it fell quite short.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (3,109 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4731 posts

Re: AC 3 disappointing =/

Jan 14, 2013

I too like AC3 but the game's Delivery was kind of a let down.

Also to me Connor felt more like The Punisher in Assassin Robes to me hahaha lol

Oh yeah quick tip: You may want to put "SPOILERS" in your thread title since it don't really count if you put SPoilers IN the thread.

someone who may not have finsihed AC3 would unwaringly click the thread and read some sentences and be robbed of some story :smileywink:

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (3,093 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Dude, your so right. The story was extremely bland, and had no connection to make you want to play further. Im also gonna add the gameplay wasnt very good, it is buggy and seemed like someone got lazy in designing the game. The game really doesnt deserve to be called  "Assassin's Creed 3", more like AC Revelations part 2 or some lame title like that. The only good thing about the game, is that you can climb trees.....i dont know why, but tree climbing is fun......

The concept of hope is nothing more than giving up. A word that holds no true meaning.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (3,083 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1202 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (3,063 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23784 posts

Jan 18, 2013

JgWink wrote:

*WARNING* THERE BE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! ((This post is mainly for people who have already played through the entire campaign.))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start off I don't hate AC3, I enjoyed my time playing it for the most part. However, I think Ubisoft missed a golden opportunity to make this game truly worthy of the hype it's received. My grievances are as follows...

1. Is Connor supposed to be a Colonial Anakin Skywalker?

Honestly, I looked up the voice actor to make sure it wasn't Hayden Christensen. Not only does his voice sound remarkably like Anakin, but the characters storyline is remarkably similar. Think about it; Anakin loses his mother fairly young, is angry because of this and also very impatient. This, of course, gets him into many a precarious situation as he goes along killing (assassinating) Sith.

Connor, loses his mother at a young age, is angry, impatient, often fights with his mentor Achilles (black Obi Wan Kenobi / Yoda).... You can see where I'm going with this.

(He's a Native American. There's lots of stories where the protagonist loses a parent, that doesn't mean they're all derivative of Star Wars. The mentor/student dynamic is as old as storytelling itself. It didn't being with George Lucas, and it certainly doesn't end with Assassin's Creed 3).

2. Connor was too whiney and basically had 1 dimension when it came to emotion (ANGER)

Look, I get it, he had to watch his mother die, I'd be angry too! Hell, for most of the game I was even pulling for him, If not for the fact that he never learns to let go of his anger or even channel it properly. He just sulks around cursing Charles Lee and arguing with Achilles (He doesn't even reconcile with him when he's on his death bed!) . Meanwhile he ends up in bad situations due to being overly hot headed, and never really develops a clean professional killing style more along the lines of Altair and especially Ezio. And not to sound insensitive, but the whole, "I gotta save my village!! And how terrible everyone is to the Natives, gets extremely whiney an preachy by the end of the game.

3. There is very little room to upgrade or do anything beside the main story

One of my favorite things about AC Brotherhood, was being able to upgrade your gear. Having money meant something and help you progress. Going on side missions for Leonardo Da Vinci gained you cool gadgets that also help you throughout the game. The Sons of Romulus "dungeon crawls", also were satisfyingly challenging and gave you even more insentive to progress through the story so you could get to the next piece of the puzzle. In the end you're rewarded handsomely with the Brutus armor, which not only made you look badass, but also made taking on hordes of baddies a walk in the park.

AC3 is all but void of such challenges and even liberating sections of Colonial America gain you the lackluster reward of adding another Assassin to your crew (especially if you consider how long it actually takes). The homestead crafting system is never properly explained and it makes for a frustrating experience as you try to troubleshoot it. I never really felt like money was that much of a boon, and getting rid of potions in favor for a passive health regen system makes having cash even more trivial.

4. Both storylines (Connor & Desmond) ended extremely anti-climactically for me

Did anybody else find it almost laughable that when it came time to kill the final "bad guy" Connor did so by having a drink with him and then stabbing the guy in the chest? Really!? Your gonna take a drink and then just stab the dude? You don't even have a decent brawl with him like you did with Haythem. All the fighting happens through cutscenes and ends up with the player feeling extremely unrewarded for their efforts.

As for Desmond you never really get THAT into the story, because they pretty much gloss over a lot of the details. The ease in which you completely wipe the floor with everyone from Abstergo is pretty obsured as well, and almost laughable in it's simplicity. When everything was said and done his death wasn't even that great. There are no heartfelt revelations or good-byes from the people who have been at his side for the past 5 games. What you're left with is a bad Old Yeller, "go on! Get out of here!" moment and that's it....

I was honestly half expecting there to be something after Charles Lee and Desmond die, I was sadly mistaken as Juno says some  lackadaisical line and the credits roll (for 15 minutes no less!).

Overall I think AC3 had a great premise. The setting was great, the gameplay is decent and everything looks good in the game. The really sad part is that Ubisoft missed a lot of great story arcs and glossed over way too many details to give the main story any true replay value. I wanted AC3 to be the game everybody said it was, I really did, unfortunately for me it fell quite short.

Okay, I'm not going to get into this in very great detail, however you're being far too analytical . Does it have some short commings? Sure, what game/movie/book doesn't? But you can't sit there and pick apart every single detail. You do that, and you're not going to enjoy anything.

I always say that gamers should really take more literature and English courses, and even some creative writing. That way you can appreciate more than just the "nuts and bolts" of a game. And while some things may not seem obvious at the time, it also teaches you to see the subtext of a storyline.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (3,057 Views)
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jan 19, 2013
dude, english courses are a waste of time and money, if thats the course you took in college i feel sorry for you. The hard truth is its only good to appreciate things, other than that its pretty fkn useless. Sorry ive heard you say this several times and its annoying LOVE YOU :smileytongue:
The concept of hope is nothing more than giving up. A word that holds no true meaning.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (3,038 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23784 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

XenothXIII wrote:
dude, english courses are a waste of time and money, if thats the course you took in college i feel sorry for you. The hard truth is its only good to appreciate things, other than that its pretty fkn useless. Sorry ive heard you say this several times and its annoying LOVE YOU :smileytongue:
Not for nothing, a guy discussing video games is calling studying English and literature a "waste of time"? Yes, because all the great speakers, poets, and writers only needed 140 characters to get their point across. Just because you don't value the English language doesn't mean it's a "waste of time and money". If you had taken more English and literature course instead of saying "I'm a techie/gamer and that's it!", then you wouldn't be asking all of these questions.

Let me throw these names out for you;

Tom Clancy

Sir Ian Flemming

Robert Ludlum

Clive Cussler

Raymond Chandler

All very prolific writers, and ALL have had elements you've seen in video games, and all became INCREDIBLY wealthy by writing. But... English courses are a waste of time!! You really think so?

Clive Cussler= Uncharted

Robert Ludlum = Bourne and every action adventure game.

Tom Clancy = Far too many to list.

J.R.R. Tolkein = Lord of Rings and EVERY fantasy adventure game in the last fifty years.

And Sir Ian Flemming the grand daddy of the espionage genre has influenced EVERYTHING from the names I've mentioned above, to the grand daddy of stealth on the Playstation; Metal Gear Solid. Yes, James Bond appeard in BOOKS well before movies and video games.

The influences are there, you're just choosing NOT to see them. They also serve a secondary purpose; helping you write something other than, quite frankly, that text speak jibberish so many choose to write in these days, and it helps you to be taken seriously when you have an opinoin.

And I'd hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's a REQUIREMENT when you get to the university level. EVERYONE, including yourself HAS to take it. So it looks like you really don't have a say in the matter, unless you're a prodigy and score abnormally high on your placement tests for a waiver, which I doubt most will. And you'll meet a lot more girls in a bookstore than at GameStop! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (3,000 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

Feb 2, 2013
Yeah AC3 is the most disappointing game I've ever played. The story was the main thing that kept me engaged in this series and the story of AC3 was a huge let down. Really the only things I like about this game are the naval missions, multiplayer, snow and the music. Everything else is poor.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (2,962 Views)
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Feb 4, 2013
still a waste of time and money, cause no one cares you snob
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (2,954 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7441 posts

Feb 4, 2013

XenothXIII wrote:
still a waste of time and money, cause no one cares you snob

Well that was just plain unneccessary. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (2,949 Views)