I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Re: Your Favorite English VAs

Jul 25, 2010

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

You'll find this weird but I like both subs and dubs equally. Though anyway my favorite English voice actors are:

Brad Swaile-Light Yagami in Death Note

Johnny Yong Bosch-Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach

This is probably on everyone's list. Steven Blum-Spike Spielgel in Cowboy Bebop

Crispin Freeman-Allan Gabriel in The Big O

A little off-topic but I really like the voice from the Japanese voice actor Mamoru Miyano. Fits in well with every character he voices, especially Light Yagami with his evil laugh.

Finally someone who likes both dubs and subs like me.   Although for me i think it really comes down to the particular anime, what the series is about, and whether I personally feel the voices fit the character.

For example, I personally think the English voices in Cowboy Bebop, fit the whole series and tone much better (more appropriately) than the Japanese voice overs.   I think Full Metal Alchemist has a fantastic English dub as well.

Anyway my favorite anime voice actors (English) are:

- Crispin (Crispy) Freeman - Although I originally became a fan of him from his work in Soul Calibur III (game)

- Wendee Lee - I thought she did a fantastic job with Haruhi's voice in "The Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya" I was complete thunderstruck when I found out that she was like 50 years old, I was like how could she voice a character that is in highschool and make it so believable.

- Johhny Young Bosch - Yeah he's way over used now, but I really liked the work that he did as Neroin Devil May Cry 4.

- Reuben Langdon - OK, so he's actually more of a video game VA, but he did voice Dante for the DMC anime series, but even more than that I respect him as a martial artist as well.

- Mark Hamill - He does a great job as a VA, although I think he still gets some Star Wars nostalgia bonus point (from me) LOL

Anyway, on a side note, although I think that animated series can work well in both the original language, I can't stand live action movies dubbed.   That really grinds my Gears, live action I always have to watch with its original language and subtitles.

Ya that Bosch guy does get over used, but personally I like him as Ichigo in bleach because it just seems to fit the character.  I still cannot believe I forgot about Mark Hamill and his infamous voice as The Joker in the Oldschool Dark version of Batman The animated series.  Also can't forget Kevin Conroy as The Batman I was so freakin psyched when they got him and Mark Hamill to do the voice for The Batman Arkham Asylum game. 

Message 11 of 14 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2517 posts

Jul 25, 2010

I like Johnny Yong Bosch for his portayl of Vash The Stampede. Oddly enough it's the only anime role he is in that I'm really fond of. I do think Bosch does great work like with Ichigo and Lelouch, but to me his best performance will always be Vash. Bosch really does an outstanding job at translating Vash's dual personalities, his silly side and his serious side. An unforgettable acheivement in anime dubbing history to me.

Jeff Nimoy is someone I like, though he is rather unknown. He's mostly been a screenwriter for english dubbed versions of anime such as Digimon. But for Trigun he really shined as a voice actor for having a unique colorful take on Nicholas D. Wolfwood. He really captured Wolfwood's snark and mysterious personality, as well as having captured the goofy comedic parts of him.

And finally Luci Christian. Her roles include Tenma from School Rumble, Nami from One Piece, and Yukari from Azumanga Daioh. All of which she did an excellent job on. She is very versatile and has wide range.

Message 12 of 14 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Aug 24, 2010

I like to add something about some of your favorite anime VAs, did you know you can hear their voice in some of your non-Japanese game you played:

Crispin Freeman voiced: BRONCO in SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2 and Tactical Strike, Koba-Kai and Wingman in Lair, Winter Soldier in Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Iron Man in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Helios in God of War 3

Steve Blum voiced: Ares in God of War, Mark Tepper in SOCOM, Killer Croc in Batman: Arkham Asylum, Grunt and Wilson in Mass Effect 2, Descendent in Uncharted.

Perhaps some of you might have found out David Kaye who voiced Clank is also Sesshomaru in Inuyasha, Treize Khushrenada in Gundam Wing.  TC Carson who voiced Kratos has voiced a character in Afro Samurai and  James Arnold Taylor who voiced Ratchet also voiced a character in Afro Samurai, and Nolan North has voiced several game involving anime.

After seeing 2 non-anime VA, Ben Diskin and Hynden Walch having numerous anime role.  It maybe possible we could see Nolan North and James Arnold Taylor could get anime role in the future, which might not be a bad thing since I always thought Nolan North and James Arnold Taylor fit a lot of anime characters.

BTW:  Ratchet's Japanese VA is Makoto Tsumura.  Clank's Japanese VA is T?ru ?kawa (aka Roy Mustang from FMA).  Kratos's Japanese VA is Tessho Genda. 

Message 13 of 14 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6665 posts

Aug 24, 2010

Spike Spigel - Cowboy Bepop

Yes, you can play with them. :smileywink:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 14 (6 Views)
0 Likes