Feb 29 2012
By: ixarix PlayStation MVP 612 posts

What was the one anime/manga which got you hooked.

41 replies 464 views Edited Feb 29, 2012

What was the one anime or manga which got you hooked on the whole genre?   For me it was the movie Akira, I hadn't seen anything like it before.  After I saw it, I decided to check out other anime and manga and since then I've been hooked. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Re: What was the one anime/manga which got you hooked.

Feb 29, 2012

Gundam Wing

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
612 posts

Mar 1, 2012

I liked Gundam Wing too.  The whole Gundam series is pretty good.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Mar 1, 2012

There was a lot of anime back in the day that I watched.  I kind of felt that I might have not been old enough to understand some of the things like Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star.  But for the one that did "hook" me I'll go with the Pokemon anime.  If only because I remember those much more than any other anime I watched back in the day.

With manga, FMA.  While I watched the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime it left me kind of empty, plus I ended up hating it.  But it was the manga that was what brought me into the manga world, and why I am buying manga now.... and not just FMA but Blue Exorcist, Fairy Tail, Negima, Soul Eater, and Flame of Recca.  There are some manga I have read that I am willing to buy... once it comes to the states that is *cough* The World Only God Konws *cough*.  Almost have all the FMA volumes, just need 27, oh and I got my FMA volume 1 signed by Vic himself.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
612 posts

Mar 1, 2012

I loved both Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, both very cool anime, especially Bebop.  The music in Cowboy Bebop was awesome, but then that is what you expect from Yoko Kanno.  I liked Pokemon too, and it kind of amazing that it is still going strong after all these years.  I think we remember anime like Pokemon because we identify the so strongly with our childhood.

I loved FMA, and it is definitely one of my all time favorites.  I think I liked the original anime better then you, however I do see how it ended to soon and the original manga kept going well beyond.  Love the manga to and have most of the volumes of FMA, though not all.  I like buying manga for series that I really like.  I've been reading Naruto in Shonen Jump since it first came out in NA and have almost every edition of Shonen Jump except the first one.  The other I like that you mentioned are Blue Exorcist, and Fairy Tail.  If you like Fairy Tail, try to check out Rave Master, it is by the same author.

Also, that's awesome that you got a FMA volume on signed by Vic.  I work in an independent bookstore for a while so I know what it's like to get something signed.  I've got an original copy of The Invention of Hugo Cabret signed by the author Brian Selznick.

TheBlackDragoon wrote:

There was a lot of anime back in the day that I watched.  I kind of felt that I might have not been old enough to understand some of the things like Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star.  But for the one that did "hook" me I'll go with the Pokemon anime.  If only because I remember those much more than any other anime I watched back in the day.

With manga, FMA.  While I watched the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime it left me kind of empty, plus I ended up hating it.  But it was the manga that was what brought me into the manga world, and why I am buying manga now.... and not just FMA but Blue Exorcist, Fairy Tail, Negima, Soul Eater, and Flame of Recca.  There are some manga I have read that I am willing to buy... once it comes to the states that is *cough* The World Only God Konws *cough*.  Almost have all the FMA volumes, just need 27, oh and I got my FMA volume 1 signed by Vic himself.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

Mar 4, 2012

For me, the first anime that got me hooked on the genre was the Robotech series. I think I watched the entire series on tv quite a few times. Always made sure i never missed an episode.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 4, 2012

first anime was sailor moon back when it was on toonami and i was 10 years old... i also didnt know it was anime at the time... then my first manga was naruto... been reading manga and watching anime since

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Mar 7, 2012

I think Dragonball Z was my first anime, I was probably about 5 years old, so I cannot remember the age properly. But I do remember being blown away by it. Had to watch it all.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 7, 2012

Dark_arc wrote:

I think Dragonball Z was my first anime, I was probably about 5 years old, so I cannot remember the age properly. But I do remember being blown away by it. Had to watch it all.

sailor moon was the first 1 i watched and dbz was right after it XD had to watch them both

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
612 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Grand_Viceroy wrote:

For me, the first anime that got me hooked on the genre was the Robotech series. I think I watched the entire series on tv quite a few times. Always made sure i never missed an episode.

I remember watching Robotech when I was younger as well.  Everytime I think of it I can still here the opening theme music in my head.  I watched the entire series too.  Have you watch it again since then?

Another series I watched when I was young was Battle of the Planets, or G-force.  It was also know as Gatchman.  I thought that was a pretty cool series growing up. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes