Aug 21 2013
By: Punfisher Lombax Warrior 252 posts

Splinter Cell Blacklist horrible game

20 replies 249 views Edited Aug 21, 2013

I just bought the game and I did not know Michael Ironside wasn't doing Sam Fischer anymore.  This new Sam Fischer doesn't look like Sam, doesn't sound like Sam.  Personally I would never have bought the game had I known.  They should've just used a new Splinter Cell character. 

So that right off the bat ruined it for me.  And if that wasn't a hard enough pill to swallow we have to hold our guns sideways like a bunch of gangsters from the hood now.  Everything about this game is just retarded.  Worst cover system in gaming.  You sort of roll and slide on your back into cover.  That's so dumb.  Nobody does that.

And so far I have no clue as to what's going on with the story.  I am lost and confused beyond belief.

This has got to be my worst buy since Starhawk.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (249 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23784 posts

Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist horrible game

Aug 21, 2013

You do realize that different people can play the same part?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8111 posts

Aug 21, 2013

Aside from Sam Fisher looking too much like Commander Shepard, I think the game is phat. It's real fun to come up on someone and take them down non-lethally. The animations are pretty fluid and the game is just real fun to play.

PS: Rate my sig.

Take back the future
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4857 posts

Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play this game yet but all the reviews seem to be good, it's a big blow removing Michael Ironside but I guess you have to view as almost a reboot in a sense.

photo NorphSig.png

"Postman Pat has a black and white cat, what does Big Boss have? NOTHING! THATS WHAT! HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TWO FUNCTIONAL EYES LIKE PAT. OR A VAN!" - F0X
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8111 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2013

I_Dsev wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play this game yet but all the reviews seem to be good, it's a big blow removing Michael Ironside but I guess you have to view as almost a reboot in a sense.

It's exactly that. It's kind of like comic books where they will retcon things happening and so everything starts fresh, but the characters and the story behaves exactly like it used to. The Joker will have always killed Jason Todd. Bane will have always broken Batman's back. Even though it's all updated and whatnot. So with Blacklist, from what I can tell, the events of the previous games have taken place, but perhaps more updated and closer to home. If not a narrative reboot, it's a tonal reboot. The stakes of the game has changed, if you will.

You can notice Sam's hair is actually greying, despite looking YEARS younger, and sounding younger as well. So it makes you think. Then again, I've only played the first two missions, so I still have a lot more to see. So far I think it's a really great game. It's got this "thing" about it, that makes running into enemies and knocking them out, quickly hiding the bodies and moving to another enemy really addictive. You WANT to be Sam Fisher. You WANT to take the enemies down. (It doesn't hurt that it looks reaaaaaally cool also). And you can choose between lethal and non-lethal, stealth, partial stealth, or full auto assault. For instance, I just replayed the second level and I got all of the way through without even touching an enemy. Not a single knock out, even. I'm 23 on the leaderboards for that mission because of it.

I don't know. I liked Conviction, but felt that was the tipping point of the series, where it started to go "mainstream"(Even though SC was already mainstream, but whatever). But for what it's worth, Blacklist pays great respect to the older games than to Conviction. Sure, the gameplay is pretty dumbed down. That's what mainstream will do to you.

Take back the future
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (226 Views)
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 23, 2013

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

It's exactly that. It's kind of like comic books where they will retcon things happening and so everything starts fresh, but the characters and the story behaves exactly like it used to.

I used to collect comics, so no pun against comic book collectors when I say this, but developers would do well to emulate film producers and avoid being like comic books.  A great comic will never generate the kind of profits a great movie will.  They should be more like Steven Spielbergh and less like Todd McFarlane.  Just sayin.  And I'll use Harry Potter as an example.  That series would never have been the mega hit that it is today if they switched up the actor for Harry Potter.  If they started using a different actor for Harry Potter, I'm pretty sure the series would've died there.  The same goes for any other film.   

I'm still playing the game and I have been liking it a little more.  However, I just have to keep telling myself that it's not Sam Fisher and it's just some other echelon dude.

There are elements in the game though that I will never get over.  Like how you aim your weapon sideways like some punk from the hood.  And how Sam Fisher has to pay out of his own pocket for the weapons and upgrades he needs  to save the world.  Really.  It's a good thing he's rich becuase the world would be in flames if he couldn't afford that rifle of his.  The government will pay $500 for a hammer, but they won't help Sam Fisher upgrade his gun.

And there's no manual.  I paid $65 for this game and I don't get a manual?  Sure there's a digital manual, but you have to quit your game to look something up.  That's bull _____.

The biggest hang up is the change in actors.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (214 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23784 posts

Aug 23, 2013

I started playing last night. Sam Fisher is more cat-like in this game. He's quick and lethal, which I like more instead of the heavy footed plodding of the previous games.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (207 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7818 posts

Aug 23, 2013

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

I_Dsev wrote:

It's exactly that. It's kind of like comic books where they will retcon things happening and so everything starts fresh, but the characters and the story behaves exactly like it used to. The Joker will have always killed Jason Todd. Bane will have always broken Batman's back. Even though it's all updated and whatnot. So with Blacklist, from what I can tell, the events of the previous games have taken place, but perhaps more updated and closer to home. If not a narrative reboot, it's a tonal reboot. The stakes of the game has changed, if you will.

You can notice Sam's hair is actually greying, despite looking YEARS younger, and sounding younger as well. So it makes you think. Then again, I've only played the first two missions, so I still have a lot more to see. So far I think it's a really great game. It's got this "thing" about it, that makes running into enemies and knocking them out, quickly hiding the bodies and moving to another enemy really addictive. You WANT to be Sam Fisher. You WANT to take the enemies down. (It doesn't hurt that it looks reaaaaaally cool also). And you can choose between lethal and non-lethal, stealth, partial stealth, or full auto assault. For instance, I just replayed the second level and I got all of the way through without even touching an enemy. Not a single knock out, even. I'm 23 on the leaderboards for that mission because of it.

I don't know. I liked Conviction, but felt that was the tipping point of the series, where it started to go "mainstream"(Even though SC was already mainstream, but whatever). But for what it's worth, Blacklist pays great respect to the older games than to Conviction. Sure, the gameplay is pretty dumbed down. That's what mainstream will do to you.

AND YOU TWO CALL YOURSELF MGS FANS? TRAITORS!!!!11

Seriously though, might pick this up at some point. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8111 posts

Aug 24, 2013

VR_F0X wrote:

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

I_Dsev wrote:

AND YOU TWO CALL YOURSELF MGS FANS? TRAITORS!!!!11

Seriously though, might pick this up at some point. :smileymad:

It's very good. Listen to what Cap said above. It's not a fast PACED game. If you are going ghost, you can still take your time to avoid enemies, but the actions themselves are very quick and responsive. When things happen, they happen right then. And co-op is pretty fun.

Take back the future
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (196 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23784 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 26, 2013

I've been playing it more, and honestly this is the bad **bleep** Sam Fisher I always wanted see. The old Sam can stay in the last generation.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (185 Views)
0 Likes