Jun 26 2013
By: Bobsfed Fender Bender 3075 posts
Accepted Solution

Saints Row the 3rd or Sleeping Dogs?

[ Edited ]
12 replies 588 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

Last week being a new PS + subscriber I got to use the one hour trial of SR3. I liked the gameplay, but thought the story was kind of weird and unrealistic. But it did seem like a fun game and I was planning on buying it soon because I I also played SR1 and SR2 and I love open world sandbox games. But then I heard of Sleeping Dogs recently and I think that game looks pretty cool too. I played the previous True Crime games and loved them a lot. So now I can't decide which game I want to get first. They're both basically the same price and each has a good number of downloads too. I don't particularly like the whole rap or hiphop music culture. I know that in SR3 you can change the radio stations or just turn down the music settings all together. But I heard SD has rap in it too, so does it also have that feature? And is there an alternative to rap in SD as well? Also what about vehicles? Like which game has more cars and boats to drive? And also map size. which map is bigger and has more buildings you can enter? Any input would be appreciated.

bobs fed signature
Message 1 of 13 (588 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Re: Saints Row the 3rd or Sleeping Dogs?

Jun 26, 2013

Well, personally..I'd go with what game that appeals to me more.

Though, if I had to break them down, here's how I'd do it.

I've played both of these games, so if there's any biased opinions..it's because that game appealed to me more so. Cat Embarassed

If you want to go with a better storyline, bigger map, better graphics, and more exploration, Sleeping Dogs is really the game to go with. I think I could play the game for hours. Even after you beat the game, it doesn't end just there. You can start it back up, and finish off any challenges you missed, or even just explore the city. There's also DLC for both, SR3 having the more unrealistic/comical DLCs. While SD is story/side quest based.

Downside to Sleeping Dogs is, there's no multi player which is a bummer. Though SR3 has a 2 player co-op option. It's very limited, and it gets boring fast. Mainly because at the time, THQ didn't really expand the multi player like you would find in games similar to SR3, like GTA and such. 

I'd say character customization is much better in SR3, but it's very cartoonish. Compared to SD, where your main character looks sort of like a real person. 

Basically, if you want to have fun and goof around, SR3 is your game. SD is more story driven, and it's a real good game, if you're wanting to play it for storyline. When it comes to music, you have the option to mute on either of them. Also, SD has other soundtracks on the game, besides rap artist.

Message 2 of 13 (573 Views)
PlayStation MVP
809 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Finer Point - isn't SR3 still free on Plus or did it go away?

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 3 of 13 (571 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7536 posts

Jun 26, 2013

I've downlaoded both for free on PS+ I loved Sleeping Dogs and played a little of SR the III. I prefer the style of sleeping dogs as it's not too over the top like SR is. Both are great titles and an amazing deal for PS+ members! Get them both! But expect a different experience with each.

Message 4 of 13 (562 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

As far as I could see there is a free trial for SR3, and a demo for SD. But that's about it. I do plan on getting them both ,but I'm just debating which one I want to get first.

bobs fed signature
Message 5 of 13 (549 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Bobsfed wrote:

As far as I could see there is a free trial for SR3, and a demo for SD. But that's about it. I do plan on getting them both ,but I'm just debating which one I want to get first.

You'll most likely finish SR3 before SD, and once you complete SR3 both ways, it seems to get a litlte boring there after.

Mainly because after the challenges are completed, storyline is finished, there's not much else to do.

The DLC alone wasn't enough to satisfy me, I believe it's mostly costumes and such.

Message 6 of 13 (539 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11512 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Both Saints Row: The Third and Sleeping Dogs are personal turn-offs, but if there's ones I can stands more so than the other one it's Saints Row. Sleeping Dogs is a much more serious affair. You're an undercover cop in a plot that takes itself way too seriously. Although I don't mind games being realistic, if the game is lousy though then it's hard to adjust to liking the game. Not to mention the gameplay in Sleeping Dogs has you performing martial arts, which compared to the combat in Saints Row is not as fluid and intuitive to get into.

Mostly I've jumped into Saints Row while playing the game with someone else over the online co-op. It didn't take me too long to learn the controls. The game sort of comes naturally, though I have had a few questions about what I was supposed to be doing along the way. Much more comical and generally over-the-top, Saints Row: The Third lets you design your character so that you're not stuck with simply adding new clothing - you're actually shaping the character to be as fat or skinny as the game permits. Heck, I've even given a fiery orange beard to my overweight zombie-speaking black woman. I'm having a better time playing Saints Row than I ever did attempting to play Sleeping Dogs.

Both games came free to PlayStation Plus in only the last couple of months. If you had signed up for the service last month then you wouldn't have to worry about paying for either shame. But if you're going to download one of them first, start with the game that's still free before it's too late.

Message 7 of 13 (534 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Niether game is free as far as I could see for ps + GreyGargoyle. But I don't really want to download any of them anyways because I don't want huge games cluttering up my HD. I'm buying them both at the store. I think I'm going to start off with Sleeping Dogs first because the visuals do look great and it also has a dlc called Square Enix pack which includes playable characters from Hitman and Just Cause and I love both those game series. I'll just get SR3 next month. I'm just looking for something to pass the time until GTA5 comes out in the fall. Thanks for the help everyone. Man Happy

bobs fed signature
Message 8 of 13 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
809 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Sleeping Dogs is excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 9 of 13 (509 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Jun 27, 2013
Sleeping Dogs is a superior game in just about every way, unless you really need some hacked together multiplayer...
Message 10 of 13 (507 Views)