Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 24 2004
By: Wolffe72 Fender Bender 3598 posts

Pitfall: The Lost Expedition

4 replies 2 views Edited Feb 24, 2004
I picked this game up last night and I had the chance to play it for a half-hour or so this morning.  So far it looks pretty good.  The graphics are bold and colorful, although I'm seeing a strange dithering effect on anything that is supposed to be transparent (fire, mist, fog, etc).  Is anyone else seeing this?  It doesn't look very good at all and it seems out of place considering how good everything else looks.

Overall, the game looks very polished and professional.  It definitely doesn't look or play like some cheap hack.  I'm not crazy about the camera controls, but the game is smooth and responsive.

The beginning levels are very linear... it sometimes feels like I'm playing the original Pitfall in 3D.  I hope the levels open up a bit further into the game.

I've seen reviews bash the characters, dialogue, and story but I'm not sure what these critics are looking for -- it's a somewhat whacky platform game, not a candidate for an Oscar.  I think the characters and dialogue fit right in with the type of game and its presentation... I wouldn't have expected much different.

Anyway, I'm really interested in knowing if that dithering problem with transparency is just part of the game?!?
Message 1 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24918 posts

Re: Pitfall: The Lost Expedition

Feb 24, 2004

,Wolffe wrote:
I picked this game up last night and I had the chance to play it for a half-hour or so this morning.  So far it looks pretty good.  The graphics are bold and colorful, although I'm seeing a strange dithering effect on anything that is supposed to be transparent (fire, mist, fog, etc).  Is anyone else seeing this?  It doesn't look very good at all and it seems out of place considering how good everything else looks.

Overall, the game looks very polished and professional.  It definitely doesn't look or play like some cheap hack.  I'm not crazy about the camera controls, but the game is smooth and responsive.

The beginning levels are very linear... it sometimes feels like I'm playing the original Pitfall in 3D.  I hope the levels open up a bit further into the game.

I've seen reviews bash the characters, dialogue, and story but I'm not sure what these critics are looking for -- it's a somewhat whacky platform game, not a candidate for an Oscar.  I think the characters and dialogue fit right in with the type of game and its presentation... I wouldn't have expected much different.

Anyway, I'm really interested in knowing if that dithering problem with transparency is just part of the game?!?

I played the OPM demo a while back. I'm not sure what you mean by "dithering" effect, I'm going to have to rent it and check out the full version. Maybe the graphics were altered between the demo and the completed version.

I think alot of people might have been expecting Pitfall Harry to be more like an Indiana Jones type of character. Rather than a cartooney type of platform version we see here. Perhaps that's why this game is getting bashed. I thought the demo was alot of fun. I'm going to have to give it a spin.
Message 2 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

Feb 24, 2004
Iplayed the OPM demo a while back. I'm not sure what you mean by "dithering" effect

A dithering effect meaning that effects like fog and mist have a grid-like pattern to them.  For instance, instead of a grey fog simply tinting the background grey, the fog looks more like a pattern of grey dots overlapping the background.  I saw this in the opening fight with the leopard (in the glow of the fire), the mist that appears in the health fountains when you stand in them, etc.
Message 3 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1561 posts

Feb 24, 2004
Do you know around how many hours long it is, because I heard it was pretty short.
Message 4 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

Feb 24, 2004
Do you know around how many hours long it is, because I heard it was pretty short.,

Sorry, I just started playing it (barely scratched the surface - 0%).  I've read that it has a lot of levels but I have no idea how big each level is...
Message 5 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes